New Saw Purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which one is the best buy.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anynamewilldo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I'm sure this post has been beaten to death, but I was wondering what others thought. I live on 5 acrers and have used a Husky 137 for several years without a problem. Now I own over 100 acrers and have a feeling I'll be doing alot of more cutting. While the 137 does wonders I think its time I graduated to a bigger saw so what I was looking for is at least 18", a good price and performace, something that I can count on tough and bullet proof. I'm not brand loyal but if Husky meets my requirments and has the best price I'll buy again.

Seeing how I have to buy locally these are the ones that look like they meet what I'm after:
MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS
Dolmar 5100
Red Max G621AVS
Husky 455 Rancher
Shindaiwa 488
Echo CS-400

Other options:
Efco 152 52cc
Tanaka 45cc

If you have a real genuine Dolmar dealer that has Dolmar saws and parts, I would proll'y go with the 5100s. Here in the PNW I would get a Stihl. The 290 will serve you well, but with 100 acres, a 361 would be better.

Last edited:
I'd stick with Stihl, Husky or Dolmar. If you have a good dealer then the 5100 is an excellent choice and it's sweet spot is 18".

With 100 acres maybe you could justify a professional saw. If so then the Stihl 361 would be a great fit.

I kinda like----

The Shindaiwa 488. But that's just me. If I were going to buy new, I might give the Shindaiwa 490 a try.

+3 on the 361. 100 ac is alot & a 361 would last many years. A long term investement in a pro saw ain't a bad choice.

RD

others

I picked what I read about and tried to keep price in the ball park, if you have other options please post them and I'll consider them. I didn't want a list a mile long :) plus I still consider myself a novice after all I have a small husk 137 after all.

Thanks for the replies

:popcorn: Well, welcome anynamewilldo. I would buy from a dealer insted of big box store. But you did find a good place for advice. I'm spending as much time here as I am at the saw dealers. Also maybe consider used saws, too. Sometimes you can find a great saw for a steal. Just my 2 cents.

yeah i would pick a shindaiwa 488 or 490, for the money they had the 488 new i think on ebay for $325 a little while ago. excellent saw

I picked what I read about and tried to keep price in the ball park, if you have other options please post them and I'll consider them. I didn't want a list a mile long :) plus I still consider myself a novice after all I have a small husk 137 after all.

Thanks for the replies

Where at in Ky. are you? Do you have a local Dolmar dealer who stocks the 5100?

I can't vote!

I only know Stihl... I wouldn't buy an Echo, and I have no idea where to even BUY a Shindy or Dolmar...

I had a Stihl MS290 for a while this summer. I just flipped it, but I ran it once. It seemed to be okay for a homeowner saw.

Out of the choices you mention I was say Dolmar 5100.
If money was tight than I would get a Husqvarna 450.
If you are moving up and want a bigger saw, I would go Husqvarna 372xp and keep the 137 for clean up.

Remeber a bigger saw will cut anything a small will, but a small saw won't cut everything a big saw will.

So I would go 372xp/137 combo.

With that much land, the minimum saw I'd be looking at would be:

Husky 359 (or Jonsered)
Stihl MS361

If you have a tight budget you could look for the above used, go with a JD 62 on clearance, or find a refurbed Makita 6401. Worst case bump down to a Husky 353 or the Dolmar 5100. However, a saw with less than 60cc is painful to use on wood of any substantial size once you've used something 65cc or bigger.

There are also some good deals on the Jonsered 2165 to be had. The Husky equivalent (365 Special) is my #1 "go-to" saw, although the MS361 is nipping at its heels now.

Over the past year I took on the responsibility of managing a 75 acres of farm/forest with an MS290 (20", .325 .063 RSC). It has performed well, but it truly has made me realize the virtue of the 2-saw plan.

Here's my current plan:

1. Add a 70+cc saw for big wood; probably a Dolmar 7900 w/24" bar.
2. Add a MS361 (18-20") for general purpose cutting.
3. Move the MS290 to backup or sell it.

I may even move the 361 to step #1 because it would be an immediate improvement over the 290 in terms of its lesser weight and better anti-vibe for the majority of my cutting. You can avoid all this maneuvering by just getting the 361 in the first place. :D

Alternative plan (Swedish version):
1. Add a 372XP/2171
2. Add a 346XP
3. Move the MS290 to backup or sell it.

Just one farm cutter's thoughts, FWIW.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back