New Saw Purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which one is the best buy.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Shindaiwa 488. But that's just me. If I were going to buy new, I might give the Shindaiwa 490 a try.

I'll give the 488 another thumbs up!!! I've never run anything on that list....but if I had to chose, it would be the Dolmar 5100.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yah, having lived on a 105 acre ranch with 85 acres in trees, I would get a 60cc saw at least. There was really nothing that I could not cut down with the 361 on the ranch in OryGun, including 4 ft DBH trees. Hardwood and softwood mix. Lots of thinning and firewood cutting, and storm cleanup. If I had stayed there, I would have gotten a 372 or a 441 for the bigger trees. The 290 was a good starter saw, but the Olympyk was also running better then with a 24 inch bar on it. With the two of them I could cut anything. After I got the 361 to replace the Oly, the 290 became the backup saw. However, in hind sight a 5100s or a 260 would have been better to run with a 361. A light 50cc and a heavier 60cc combo is a good option. I ran the 250/210 saws for limbing, but they are just really not up to the task of larger acreage and timber management. Good homeowner saws though. If you have larger diameter stuff I would cosider a 372 or a 440/441. Otherwise a 361 will do fine. A 290 will do the job, but they are heavier and more tiring to run with the vibration. Also the longest bar that they will run well with is a 20 inch. A 361 will go to 25 inch, or even 28 inch with an oiler modification and skip chain. You can grow into it.

Ah, were that I had known about this site before I bought my first saw. But then I got the 361 pretty fast after that, so all was not lost, and a lot of better times felling trees was gained. I have to thank my ArboristSite brothers and sisters for that. The guy that owns the 80 acres that I am staying on here this week got a 260 Pro after using my 361 this summer. He loves it to death. The 361 was a tad heavy for him to deal with. He has a light frame. Most of the trees here are redwood, doug firs, tanbark oaks, madrone and bishop pines. Mixed hard and softwood, but leaning toward soft. A Stihl 260 with an 18 inch bar does all he needs.

which spot?

Where at in Ky. are you? Do you have a local Dolmar dealer who stocks the 5100?

I have two houses in Jefferson County, LaGrange and my farm is in Ohio County. I don't know if they stock them, a farm supply company was listed on their site.

I really started looking at them after doing a search on this site, never heard of them until today. It looks like I might be making some calls tomorrow.

I've always seen Husky at my ATV dealer and got a good deal on it.

Beware Dolmar dealers listed on their web page. 8 are listed in the Portland/Vancouver metro area. Of those, 4 no longer sell them. 2 others sell them but have none in stock. Of the two left, neither has a 5100s. They said that they could get them, but they turned out to be back-ordered from the distributor.

already learning

I never thought of weight and displacement as a factor until now, so I might have to look at the bigger cc's as an option.

My plans are for now just to clear dead or damaged trees and clean up, mostly Oaks, Maples, Ash (I think) and spruces.

The good thing is I now have a smaller list.

I have two houses in Jefferson County, LaGrange and my farm is in Ohio County. I don't know if they stock them, a farm supply company was listed on their site.

I really started looking at them after doing a search on this site, never heard of them until today. It looks like I might be making some calls tomorrow.

I've always seen Husky at my ATV dealer and got a good deal on it.

If your ATV dealer has a 359 you may wanna give it a try out.

I don't know much about it, but looks like the Redmax saws are a pretty good deal. I've seen new ones on ebay go under $300. One is buy it now for $350. Another one has a $375 bid on it. Why didn't they just buy the $350 one?

I bought a 5100 a while back, but Im voting for the Redmax. Since I bought my Dolmar I've seen all kinds of good deals on used ones, good deals on Redmax. I could have saved $200 on one of the deals.

You might want to consider a Husqvarna 353 too. I could have got one $369 shipped.

Last edited:
dolmar- makita 7900

100 acres Holly Molly It,s time for a Big saw you all ready have a mid range saw . I,m still waiting for my Internet dcs 6401. but, when I get it look out wood@!#$ . I have heard allot about that chainsaw allot of good a few bad the 6401 is a little porky but for $194.00 at AMRICKs superstore and it,s a 7900 with 6.3 HP. WOW that,s what I would want ON 100 acres a brand new saw and WITH a 1 year warranty $399.00 not a refurbished one. save allot of $$$$$$ and another saw maybe a dolmar 5100??? Hope you in joy you new property BEST WISHES BILL:greenchainsaw:

If you think you'll be cutting a lot of wood and some bigger wood, Im changing my vote to a Stihl 361. I did some figuring if the average saw cost $650 over 5 years thats just $2.50 a week or just 36 cents per day.

Thirty six measly pennies a day!

I never thought of weight and displacement as a factor until now, so I might have to look at the bigger cc's as an option.

My plans are for now just to clear dead or damaged trees and clean up, mostly Oaks, Maples, Ash (I think) and spruces.

The good thing is I now have a smaller list.

Well:

Welcome to AS. In addition, welcome to CAD. My father has 160 acres that he took care of (pre-made trails from your truly) with a little Husky 142. Then an ice storm came. I loaned out my 7900 to him. I haven't gotten it back.

If you can still use your 137, don't be afraid of a big damn saw. Saying that you are a novice has nothing to do with it. They are all dangerous. Granted heavier can be more dangerous, but take your time. With 100 acres and already owning a small saw, just get something greater than 60cc's.

I love my Dolmar, but I love my Stihl's, Husqvarna's and Efco's as well... If nobody told you yet, the Stihl 361 also cures most major diseases. I would spend some moeny once on something that will last a long time. Especially for maintenance.

Good Luck,
Jason

I chose "none of the above"

Keep your present saw for limbing but get a bigger one for all around use.

Husky 372 or Jred 2171 (better looking and has a properly shaped handle)
Stihl 441 or 460
Dolmar 7900

Just my $.02

Now I own over 100 acrers and have a feeling I'll be doing alot of more cutting.

Why will you be cutting more? Sorry, I'm not real "with it". :( Can't you just cut what you want to and leave the rest to rot?

Too bad there aren't any more dirt cheap John Deere CS62 or CS81 on fleabay right now.
John Deere CS62
John Deere CS62
John Deere CS36LE
John Deere CS36LE

Looks like you got them all taxmantoo! :cheers:

Narrowed it down

Why will you be cutting more? Sorry, I'm not real "with it". :( Can't you just cut what you want to and leave the rest to rot?

More trees to deal with and clean up, I only harvest what I need and plant where I can.

Side note I have it narrowed down after reading some more, but I did have a few questions about the Jonsered are they really worth it? I mean I went to my husky dealer and got a few prices on the 357xp and 359 then went and looked at the Jreds 2153,56,59,65 I was surprised at the prices but wondered if it was that dealer. The 2153 was more than the 359 actually the 359 was the cheapest w/ 20" bar. Also the 2156 was more than the 2165 by 70 bucks, normal?

I'm hunting for a dolmar/makita 6400/1 as well but doesn't look like I have dealers that service, and are close by.

I'm starting to see that I might just end up with one each after all.

Use your 137 for the tiny stuff and go with some more cc's for your big lot. I say a Stihl 441 or 460, 440 if you can find one new. If you want something lighter and less expensive, check out the 361. A muffler modded 361 pulls a 20" bar fine.

Back