009L chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnbear

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
009/009L owners - what chain and bar length are you running and why? Mine came with a 14" Rollomatic E Light and 61PMN chain. Is 63PM a better cutting chain? Maybe an aftermarket chain is better? Should I be happy with what I have? I tried the search but didn't really see any threads that applied. I'll be using this as a TSI thinning/grapevine control/trimming saw. I needed something small and light I could carry all day while tramping around 155 acres of hilly woods in SE Ohio.
Finnbear

we always used 14" 3/8 lo profile, 050 picco micro chain, not the narrow.
-Ralph

009/009L owners - what chain and bar length are you running and why? Mine came with a 14" Rollomatic E Light and 61PMN chain. Is 63PM a better cutting chain? Maybe an aftermarket chain is better? Should I be happy with what I have? I tried the search but didn't really see any threads that applied. I'll be using this as a TSI thinning/grapevine control/trimming saw. I needed something small and light I could carry all day while tramping around 155 acres of hilly woods in SE Ohio.
Finnbear

I've never seen any 009 come with the .043 gauge 61PMN chain as stock. All of ours came with a 14" rollomatic E bar and a 63PM50 chain. I've never seen a Stihl, nor can I even order one with the rollomatic E light bar as stock. I can only get those bars on a parts order. As for the chain on your saw, I would switch out the light bar for a standard 3005 000 4809 bar (Lake better double check my part #) with the .050 63PM50 chain. I think the extra narrow .043 chain gets pinched way too easily. That's my 2 cents.

I was very unhappy with the 009 I bought took it back and traded it in for the ms200. Great little saw the 200 with the rear handle. I run all 14inch on all my small saws 63pm50. I have 2-ms200t, 2-020t, 1-192t,1-019t, and the new ms200. and they all cut great.:hmm3grin2orange:

I have two 009's. One is 22 years old and the other is 5. Both work great. I have a 16" bar on both and the chain is 63PM-55 .050" pitch 3/8". "This is the type of chain that came with the saws and I have replaced them with the same over the years. I'm very happy with my 009's. Lots of luck.

Finnbear, Are you happy with the new saw?

Have not had a spare moment to run it yet. 2 kids playing basketball, tournament season, wife just finished a season of coaching girls HS basketball, had to go work on Dad's tablesaw for him last Saturday, projects at home, etc., etc.
The saw looks great. It is brand new, was still in the sealed box, never had gas or oil in it, has the manual, a scrench, a bar cover, new chain still in the pack. Before I go to my cabin with it for a weekend in the woods, I need to round up a spare chain or two plus a spark plug and the correct files, etc. and this is where I ran into the .043 chain thing. The two dealers I managed to stop by last week don't stock it but they all stock the .050. Even the local Rural king store has Oregon 3/8"LP.050 chain in stock. I'm thinking Cam501 is right on the money since I don't want to be out in the boonies and need to find the closest dealer to pick up a chain and them not carry it. When I bought the saw I thought I liked the idea of the E-Light bar but never gave the .043 chain gauge a second thought since I've never owned a saw with LP chain of either gauge. I was looking at the Bailey's website and they have some Woodsman Pro 34LP for .20 per DL ($10/chain?) so maybe I should just buy a bunch of chains and run what I have bar-wise. At this point I'm not sure where to go with this. :confused:
Finnbear

It's still in an unopened Stihl sleeve. I suppose I could peddle it and replace it with a bar for the 63PM50. Anyone interested?
Finnbear

Are you sure it is an E-Light bar with .043" gauge? I thought they only cane in 14" 3/8PX.050"? Stihl calls the .043" bars "Rollomatic Mini" I have a 14" Rollomatic E on my 009 with Baileys WP 30LP cuts like a light saber. I have a 14" narrow nose roller nose bar I would let you have for a reasonable fee its not worn out...has a lot of life left in it. I could throw in teh chain as well if you'd like...but this is the narrow nose Rollomatic bar...I'm not parting with the standard Rollomatic E bar for it. I need it for my 192. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Diesel. You guys are sharp. The bar is .050" (3005 000 7409) and the chain is .043" (61PMN-50). They do NOT go together. The inDUHvidual who sold me this messed up and I'll be making arrangements to have this corrected ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=220079947136&rd=1&rd=1

Now I can just buy regular 63PM-50 chains and be done with it. I never checked the Stihl catalog to see that the seller sent a mismatched bar/chain combo and just assumed they were correct. Thanks - Finnbear

Finally used the 009L!

Finnbear, Are you happy with the new saw?
I finally got to use my new 009L. I took 2 of my boys and my dad down to our cabin in SE Ohio. We did a bunch if TSI work all day. I cut a few junk trees to "release" some more valuable ones and cut more damn grapevines than I care to remember. The 009L is perfect for this type of work. It is light enough and short enough to carry all day, one handed, nose-down without dragging the tip in the dirt. This is important since I also carry a big pair of Corona loppers for all the 2" and under grapevines. At 41cc's it has plenty of guts for a 14" bar and 63PM-50 chain. It starts on a half pull when warm and I ran 4 tanks through it on Saturday. We did about 40 acres of grapevine control so about three more days like this will take care of it for this year. I'll have some afternoons in Spring Turkey season to do some of this unless the mushroom hunting is really good. It had rained all night Friday night so the woods was really wet and I dug a few water bars on some old washed out logging roads to try to dry them up a bit. I need to go back during another good soaking rain and just work on water control. The last time this place was logged they didn't use any of today's accepted BMP's and it shows.

Latest posts

Back