020 or 335XPT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have any comments on the Husky 335XPT Verses the 020T? I like the 020 and was
curious.

Later,
David

always thought that the 335xpt was alittle "bulky" and big. I got a cs 3000 that i use but if I ever forked outthe money i'd get a 020. Great climbing saw!:D

335 is $100 cheaper, 0.4 lb lighter, more streamlined, and gives a bit more reach ( air cleaner/ carb in a better place) 020T is very well built, reliable, great power, very well balanced. I ran 020S's for many years.

I own 3 old 335's, and one new one. Got one of first on west coast four years ago. Most of the earlier problems are solved. But the new saws seem a bit shy on power. I'm shortly sending my new one up to get it Walkerized for ~$80 US. This should add 20-30% more power. Two of my old saws cut well, close to an 020T in power. The third was a demon with at least 10% more power than any 020T I compared it too. I may replace the ring and maybe the piston to get it back in top form. The cylinder look fine and it has no air leaks that I am aware of, but the power and compression have dropped off. It's had a bunch of hard use.

A lot of people were turned off by all the early problems. Don't listen to them, I feel most of them were not patient and persistent enough.

Walker's will hop one up for you and deliver it for about $450!!
Then you can tell your 020T buddies that they own a dog!! And prove it.

The Echo 3000 (~200$)and 3400 (~260$) are nice, light saws. Both lack the rpm and sheer power of the other two, and won't stand up too as much abuse nor last as long.

Here's a link to current ebay auction!!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...&showTutorial=0&ed=1013822118&indexURL=0&rd=1

hope this helps

Last edited:
After my Dealer talked me into it i purchased a 020T about 2 months ago Love it so much Ive ordered another one from Roop. I was Curious about
the Husky.

Later,
David

Got my boss to call Gilbert today for a 335 but there was no answer.
He was dead set on buying me a firewood saw but I finally convinced him I didn`t need a firewood saw for the intended line clearing that I want it for.
This will be my first top handled saw, if Gilbert ever gets around to answering his phone!

I think that you'll probably be happier with the 020t. It's got more nut than the 335 and a little more comfortable weilding it around 50' up there. Just keep your fingers crossed that you don't end up with one that has perpetual air leaks or intake boot problems.:cry:

Interesting you should mention air leaks and the boot problems, what are the symptoms my ms200 ( supercedes the old 020) up and quits off and on , most of the time it's fine but now and then it idles lower and lower then quits. This is while hanging from my harness mostly, ( me and the saw :D )

Im Husky true and threw but when it comes to the 335, I would take an 020
Carb problems, broken boots.OILER PROBLEMS
When i was at the factory last summer they are working on a new top handle saw. Looks Great and alot easier to work on as well.

John W

They figured spring/summer this year.

I seen Jonsered up here has a model in their cataloge called a 2033 top handle. It is not yet available and they do not know when. It is very similiar to the Husky One I saw.
Any one heard of the Jonsered 2033

John W

The 2033 has 1.6 hp versus 2.2 for the 335, in other words its a toy:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_a...-Jonsered-Jonsered_2033_TopHandle/additive_~1

John, After your post, I remembered Rip Tompkins telling me of this new saw. Perhaps I will wait on having you do my new 335. A ground man failed to move it after a saw switch, and the log I dropped on it left it lookin kinda sad. The one time I didnt look down!! $162 in parts. Groan. I got it from Dan Kraus for $275, he wins lots of toys for all his ITCC exploits.

did you dyno Duane's 335 and chronicle or remember the results?

I've had no boot problems for a couple years, just the sometimes finicky carb issues, the oilers are now fine, even the three old ones. Chain brakes still going wimpy, I dont know if i can get any more free replacements.

Do you think Husky would be interested in a test guinea pig? After all my perserverence and feedback with one of the very first saws out west, they owe me!! Duane, Rip and Ken may be sponsored but they dont do much real work...

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the raised bit on the handle of the 335, just behind the throttle trigger.
It makes a nice grip but I find that sometimes when trying to feather the throttle my finger/glove jams between this raised bump and the trigger so I lose a bit of throttle control.
I returned the 335 I bought for that reason, went to MS200.

No we have not done any dyno runs on the 335. Will try on the next one we sell. Acually never thought about dynoing on of them. Could be interesting. I dont know if it will pull the water brake over now that i think about it. We did a stock 351 and it had a rough time but after tuning it up we acually got an amazing 1.2Hp out of her. Was hard do believs. We figured mayby .75Hp
And i forgot about the pain in the ass chain brakes as well. There is some talk about a 336xpt, which is a revamping of the 335 like they did with the 371 to 372.

John W

Latest posts

Back