020av full rebuild - pic heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Somehow last year I wound up with four 020av's in various levels of disassembly. One box even had lots of NOS parts that the previous owner purchased for rebuild in 2004 or something and never got around to it. I think I'm $50 into all 4 saws (one of which is a super that I restored and converted to top handle last year. The other three sat around until I got spare time/bored this week. This one is the most complete, so its time has come:

IMG_6614D.jpeg

IMG_6615D.jpeg

IMG_6618D.jpeg

IMG_6629D.jpeg

IMG_6630D.jpeg

Cases Split for new bearings, seals, and crank (threads on this one were messed up)
IMG_6798.jpeg
IMG_6799.jpeg

More parts cleaning up nicely.
IMG_6801.jpeg
IMG_6802D.jpeg

New bearings installed. (Discovered the hard way that the new crank-side bearing is not the same. The inner race sits just a little proud of where the old one sits. More to come on that.
IMG_6820D.jpeg

IMG_6821D.jpeg

IMG_6822.jpeg

This was a points-ignition saw (which I really like, actually). Condenser was bad, however, and lots of the wiring was all dry rotted. Another saw had a module with nice, fat spark, so I just swapped that over. First time using a trigger module and it works well in this application.

IMG_6825D.jpeg

IMG_6828D.jpeg

Squish is .24. Or .024. Or wherever the decimal goes with a gasket delete. I don't have a lathe, so I'll roll with that.

IMG_6829D.jpeg

New rope=extra fancy
IMG_6831D.jpeg

Here are a couple shots trying to show how the inner race of the bearing sits proud of the outer race on the clutch side. This was (allegedly) an OEM bearing (and was an FAG) but I noticed after installation that it had a different part number. I'm assuming it's for either an 020T/MS200 or some later revision of the 020av.

IMG_6838D.jpeg

IMG_6839D.jpeg

IMG_6840D.jpeg

That inner race pushed the oiler gear a little further forward, which rubbed the plastic cover & eventually would have melted the cover as well as the gear itself. It also caused some sort of binding with the clutch.

There's a "bump" or whatever you might call it on the back of these gears. I ground it off with a Dremel & all fit back together perfectly. The red gear below shows the "bump" like normal. The white/yellow gear is the one I ground/sanded off.

IMG_6841D.jpeg

IMG_6842D.jpeg

Other than that, it was the usual stuff in the rebuild. Replace the worn out rubber. Clean the crap out of everything. Put it back together.

Only other thing I'll throw out here is that I had two carb options: A Tillotson HU something (7? maybe?) and a Walbro WT 1A. I had a K10-WAT on hand, so that's why I went with the Walbro. I've read that carbs on these 020s are notorious for failure. Apparently this one hasn't yet.

IMG_6848D.jpeg

IMG_6849D.jpeg

I had no idea they had a block saw version—but should have guessed. And definitely should have known that you’d have one, Alex. :yes:

The air filter setup on that... does that wrap around the tank? Is it a “bolt-on” to a tank like mine? Or a whole different setup? (Translation: talk about and post pictures of that air filter setup, lol!)

Nice work. Just made one from two earlier this year and swore a lot whilst doing it.
Kind of have an 020AV top handle 020AV Electronic rear handle hybrid now, nice hefty wee saw- but still a sod to get running from a cold start without pouring a bit of fuel into the carb throat.
Found a guy that had a 25'roll of 1/4"chain, so did not need to find any hens teeth.
Nice "save" with the plump bearing.

Latest posts

Back