020AV Super ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I met my match on a squish job. Tried 3 times and leaks. Oh boy....

There's just not enough jug around the transfers to get a seal. Or I suck, but done a bunch of these never an issue until now.

Ordered a base gasket. :(

20140927_165022.jpg
I have the saw back together again 40mm P&C now. I have a base gasket on order but I thought I'd give the Motoseal another shot. I let it setup more this time. This is the problem areas on each side. Little more that a .100 to get a seal. If it blows out again I'll have to do a base gasket but it's .043 squish with the old cracked one. I could have it milled or turned at work. Maybe. ..

Well the Motoseal seems to be holding this time. Squish at .028 but compression is 155. My guess is the new rings, only got a tank through it so far.

Idle went crazy again so pulled the carb, few pieces down in the jet needle again, I cleaned and cleaned this thing. Sheesh.

After that saw settled down for a tank of gas and cutting.

What I've learned about this saw is don't mess around piece by piece trouble shooting. Replace fuel line, impulse line, and fuel filter (cheap). Check intake boot for cracks. Soak the carb body in cleaner over night to loosen any debris blow it clear and inspect the hell out of it, carb is key. Very touchy. Leak down test on crankcase and have a good jug base seal. If doing base gasket delete let the sealant setup until putty consistency before putting together. Take this saw apart 20 or 30 times and you'll be a pro. Lol.

Thanks for this, I have parts that should be in for my 020avp super. Gives me some more ideas to check on when I start trying to piece it back together.

After a few tanks of gas compression is now 170. :clap:All running issues are resolved. My only concern is it starts in 1 or 2 pulls.:D

Anyone know what HP the Supers were?
:chainsaw: This little thing with a 16in 3/8LP Yellow chain is out of hand.

Also I run HP Ultra Stihl 50:1 and premium non - ethanol gas. I see specs for these old saws to be 40:1. Should I thicken the mix with this saw.

When it was 38mm I only ran the 50:1 and ran it quite a bit. 0 scuffing on that P&C

Very nice. Mine look rather second hand compared to yours. Here's 14" vs 12" set ups for those who are interested. Personally prefer the 12", feels very compact, is better balanced and has sightly better throttle response.IMG_5472 (Large).JPG IMG_5473 (Large).JPG IMG_5474 (Large).JPG IMG_5475 (Large).JPG

The rear handle looks good with a 16" and it'll give some nice reach in pruning jobs. Good luck in your search for an oiler gear. These little saws are such a hoot to run and much easier to work on than many people think.

The rear handle looks good with a 16" and it'll give some nice reach in pruning jobs. Good luck in your search for an oiler gear. These little saws are such a hoot to run and much easier to work on than many people think.
Once you get the hang of the handle removal I agree. And I can't believe how much power they have.

Back