021 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The little 021 I've been playing with could use a more aggressive chain,IMO.:chainsawguy: I'm only running a 14 bar on it,it's going to need a new clutch hub/drive soon.Should I go with a rim and drum ?Possibly a .325 chisel?Its really a good little saw for small stuff and limbing.Any ideas?
Thanks Russ

Not sure which chain your running now but if your stihl using the PM1 switch to the non safety PM. I don't know that I'd want to run .325 on an 021 unless you can find a .050 gauge bar. All of the Stihl bars are .063 gauge and I think it would make the chain a bit to heavy, in addition to pulling the bigger bite of the wider tooth, for an 021. Just my .02 but the regular PM is just about perfect for that saw. The ..325 might be ok (or even better) If you can find a .325/.050 bar (maybe oregon or others) Stihl does make 23 RS/RM chain but I can't say that I've ever actually seen it.

Rim and drum is a better setup than consumer spur, however the initial cost is greater. Keep in mind though, if you want to swap over to .325 the bar will have to be replaced.

Another option is to get a non-kickback 3/8" lp chain and file the rakers down a bit before the chain is installed.

I've got that saw too...
I run 3/8 picco RM on a 14" bar and its a great setup. The narrow 'picco' chain is ideal for the 34hp.
Before trying a bigger chain, try the non-safety chain, if you want aggresive cutting use RS (chisel chain) but beware, the chisel chain will dull quicker if you are into dirty wood.
I would also not file the rakers down any more than recommended specs...that just leads to more vibration, more wear on the parts and a greater chance of kickback.

:chainsaw: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back