021 crankshaft bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ah D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I received an 021 from a buddy of mine. It had a rattle coming from around the clutch area. After taking it apart, I found the bearings on the crank felt rough. So digging further I noticed the bearing on the connecting rod (crank side) had too much slop in it. It has the pressed together crank. My question is where to find the rod bearing (crank end) and…. has anyone pressed crank apart and been successful putting it back together?

Not worth the effort and the pin/journal is usually damaged badly enough putting new needle bearings on them won`t last very long. The specialized equipment needed and the skill necessary to align the crank again makes this job a bit outside the norm for most folks. Has it been done, yes but it is cheaper and easier to just replace a simple chainsaw crankshaft.

I received an 021 from a buddy of mine. It had a rattle coming from around the clutch area. After taking it apart, I found the bearings on the crank felt rough. So digging further I noticed the bearing on the connecting rod (crank side) had too much slop in it. It has the pressed together crank. My question is where to find the rod bearing (crank end) and…. has anyone pressed crank apart and been successful putting it back together?
The outboard crank bearings are directly replaceable WITHOUT disassembling the crankshaft. However, if the big end bearing is shot you will need a new crank.

So digging further I noticed the bearing on the connecting rod (crank side) had too much slop in it. It has the pressed together crank. My question is where to find the rod bearing (crank end) and…. has anyone pressed crank apart and been successful putting it back together?
So which bearing exactly are you talking about? The big rod end will have significant side play but should have zero vertical play.

So which bearing exactly are you talking about? The big rod end will have significant side play but should have zero vertical play.
Vertical play. I understand side to side is normal. Kinda looks like I will need a new crank or scrap whole thing. Don’t think it will be worth the fixing. I appreciate all the help guys!!!!! Thanks!!!

A machine shop would charge you more than the cost of replacing the saw.
Entire motor assembly, aftermarket, $40-75; used oe crank and bearings assembly, $60; used crankcases…
Ebay

If the crankshafts were no longer available, on a rare machine and or hugely expensive, it can be done, but to do it properly to guarantee long term success it will need to be sent out, spray welded and then machined back to size and lastly assembled and the crank balanced. Just not worth it in this case - go to your local dealer and ask to dig around, 021’s are as common as mushrooms and he may even give it to you for free if you have a good relationship with him.

Back