266xp/se fine/coarse crankshaft interchangeability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange Ripper

Orange Ripper Saw Shop Chronicles
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening folks,
Quick question on if it’s possible to take the good fine thread crankshaft from the newer what I believe to be a 1988 or 98 266xp case I have, that has some damage and badly stripped hardware holes, and put it into a little bit older 1985 266se that has the coarse threaded end??
I wanna do a full tear down and rebuild of the 266se anyways, but my coarse thread clutch is starting to crack badly and mushroom where it mounts to the crank, so If I can put the fine thread crank in while it’s apart, I have better chances of getting replacement clutches in the future wild be my thoughts on the situation!
Any input and feedback is muchly appreciated!
Thanks friends!

And Some pics to help the thread along lol, we all know they’re pointless without them 😂

B178FFD1-0B01-42F3-84E8-547A1B41A372.jpeg
3AFC6E13-5042-4F58-A09F-D61B8E551FD3.jpeg

Does it take the same oil pump and drum?
Flywheel taper should be the same. Position may be different. I'm not a 266 guy.
Without them in front of me apart and looking at them I’m gonna guess they are the same, I could be wrong 🤔
I know there were a few different flywheel options on them, but I would just use the one that came on the fine threaded shaft anyways, I would also have to use the pump housing off the SE as the one on the XP is a little mangled and the adjuster screw head is stripped beyond being able to adjust 🤷🏻‍♂️ so hopefully that’s also interchangeable now thinking of it

Without them in front of me apart and looking at them I’m gonna guess they are the same, I could be wrong 🤔
I know there were a few different flywheel options on them, but I would just use the one that came on the fine threaded shaft anyways, I would also have to use the pump housing off the SE as the one on the XP is a little mangled and the adjuster screw head is stripped beyond being able to adjust 🤷🏻‍♂️ so hopefully that’s also interchangeable now thinking of it
If people see this post you will know by next week.

Back