025 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

028 user

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a used 025 that will not start. I have a compression of 65lbs. Is this enough to even start it? I checked carb and it looked good. The spark looked good also. I looked in cylinder and it looks slightly scored on the exhaust side but not grooved. Can I just sand the alum. off the cylinder wall and get a new piston? Or is it a waste of money. Should I just get a jug and piston kit? I believe I can get a aftermarket jug and piston kit. I can even get a aftermarket piston kit also. Are they any good? Or should I part this out?

First thing I'd do would be to make sure you have the correct compression tester. If it doesn't have a schrader valve RIGHT AT THE screw-in TIP, then it's wrong and will read really low on an 025.

If the rings are't stuck in the piston right at the exhaust port, there may not be all that much wrong with it.

First thing I'd do would be to make sure you have the correct compression tester. If it doesn't have a schrader valve RIGHT AT THE screw-in TIP, then it's wrong and will read really low on an 025.

If the rings are't stuck in the piston right at the exhaust port, there may not be all that much wrong with it.

+1 mine would only read 70psi until i got the proper tester which showed 140psi

025 update

I took muffler off and bad news. Light scoreing on the exhaust side of the cylinder wall. Can a guy get by with honeing and replaceing piston and rings only? Or am I wasting my time? I checked compression again and I got 100 psi out of it. I have the tester that the sharder valve is on the gauge. Are the GOLF brand pistons any good?

the golf pistons are real good use them on a couple of 041's
if you lose intrest i will take off your hands
you will also need some tools to get that new piston in, the piston clams to get the rings into the jug. 6 bucks from baileys
and you should get the proper screw drivers, and torks to remove the parts.

Last edited:
I took muffler off and bad news. Light scoreing on the exhaust side of the cylinder wall. Can a guy get by with honeing and replaceing piston and rings only? Or am I wasting my time? I checked compression again and I got 100 psi out of it. I have the tester that the sharder valve is on the gauge. Are the GOLF brand pistons any good?

Honing - Often .. yes....

Golf - you get what you pay for...

Honing - Often .. yes....

Golf - you get what you pay for...

You sure dont get what you pay for with Stihl..LAst time I priced out a piston and cylinder for an MS-260 I was shocked to find it was made of Aluminum and not Gold plated platinum with Diamond rings...:cry:

That's 'cos you're not a dealer :greenchainsaw:

I can get a 026 piston and cylinder for not much more than Baileys chicom stuff.

Latest posts

Back