11/64" 2-in-1 sharpener mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo019t

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Milwaukee 2727-20 M18 Fuel saw which uses Oregon .043" ga. 3/8"P chains -- requiring an 11/64" file to sharpen. I LOVE the Pferd/Stihl 2-in-1 jigs for my Stihl chains on my019t, 26, and MS 390 saw chains, but as much as I looked -- I cannot seem to find one for 11/64" chain.

My question, not knowing the "physics" of the 2-in-one sharpeners, is: If I simply replace the 5/32" files in a jig I have with 11/64" files -- will this work? As 5/32" IS "10/64"" -- perhaps that extra 64th of an inch might work? BUT, on the other hand, might it puts the jig out of whack??? I do not know if the plastic dimensions of each different-sized jigs are not the same, dependent on file size -- or -- do they use the same jig for all (unlikely?) just swapping the files in them.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!
geo

You'll have less "hook" on the cutters with a larger file.

I've went the other way and have used holders for larger files with smaller files, then used some thin paper/matchbook covers to shim the holder and get the hook where I want it. Usually a 7/32" holder and using 3/16 or 5/32" files.

The 2 in 1 holders are sort of a crutch to get the rakers the correct height in relation to the cutters.......

I'm happy with just freehand filing as that is how I learned to sharpen. Try to keep cutters same length, give longer ones an extra stroke or two, short ones just enough for an edge. Watch your hook and gullet.

Check the rakers with a gauge when I feel they need to be taken down.

You'll have less "hook" on the cutters with a larger file.

I've went the other way and have used holders for larger files with smaller files, then used some thin paper/matchbook covers to shim the holder and get the hook where I want it. Usually a 7/32" holder and using 3/16 or 5/32" files.

The 2 in 1 holders are sort of a crutch to get the rakers the correct height in relation to the cutters.......

I'm happy with just freehand filing as that is how I learned to sharpen. Try to keep cutters same length, give longer ones an extra stroke or two, short ones just enough for an edge. Watch your hook and gullet.

Check the rakers with a gauge when I feel they need to be taken down.
Thank you! Your answer is just what I was "afraid of" -- hence, my asking before I enlarged 5/32" holes in the 2-in-1 and I tried it. Sad that I know of no one having any means for sharpening 4.5mm than just the files. To quote my older son, "it is what it is"!
Thank you again!
geo

Why the 90 class Oregon chain calls out 11/64 is sort of curious. If you run Stihl 61 class (or the Husky equivalent most likely) you won't need to start this thread. that chain does not last for a whole lot of sharpenings so I would not hesitate to use both sized files and see since you like the 2 in one. I probably would just use the chain until the depth gauges are making not work well enough. Try the Husky roller guide?

Thank you! Your answer is just what I was "afraid of" -- hence, my asking before I enlarged 5/32" holes in the 2-in-1 and I tried it. Sad that I know of no one having any means for sharpening 4.5mm than just the files. To quote my older son, "it is what it is"!

If you really want to use 11/64''-4.5 mm files:

You can use such a guide, for example, from Oregon.
Part Number 31692
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/file-guide-with-file,-4-5-mm/p/31692

Or you can use a roller guide from Husqvarna.
P/N: 596 28 47-01
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/filing-equipment/file-gauges/?article=596284701
H38 is the same chain as Oregon 90.

Two ‘issues’ here.

Oregon Type 91 chain (3/8”, low profile, 0.050 gauge) specifies a 5/32” / 4.0mm file.

Oregon Type 90 chain (3/8”, low profile, narrow kerf, 0.043 gauge) specifies an 11/64” / 4.5mm file.

This seems contradictory: the ‘smaller’ chain using a ‘larger’ diameter file.

This came up with a battery powered pole saw I had. An Oregon engineer told me that the cutter profiles are different, but I could use 5/32” files on both, if that was all I could find.

I used the 4.5mm file on the Type 90 chain and was very impressed how it cut in that application.

The second issue is the STIHL/Pferd 2-in-1 guides, which are based on STIHL chains and recommended file sizes (this comes up all the time with full sized 3/8 pitch chain). The geometry of the design is based on a lot of assumptions. Some people love it. Some are less happy with the results.

I would suggest choosing: STIHL 2-in-1 OR the 4.5mm file.

It’s up to you if you want to experiment with modifying the guide. Or, filing with the guide (and the 4.0mm file) for general sharpening, and taking a few, ‘finishing’ strokes with a 4.5mm file.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back