025 quits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl86, I put a brand new in package carburetor on it. (off ebay cheap).

I have received both the 025 ipl and service manual .
Thanks to great folks here.
Now I can mess up Dad's saw more intelligently:) .

Replaced impulse line, the old one looked ok but I had it apart anyway.
replaced gasket between carb and manifold. (the manifold appears fine also)

Still wont idle, soon as I let off trigger it dies.
If I open the jet up enough to keep it running the chain is going pretty fast.

I checked the compression, it has 120 psi hot.

Still spewing gas out of the tank vent. Is this normal ?

Dan

why would opening the jet up make it idle faster? are you sure your not turning the idle speed screw marked LA? if the tank vent is spewing gas you either have a bad vent or something is overpressurizing your gas tank.

why would opening the jet up make it idle faster? are you sure your not turning the idle speed screw marked LA? if the tank vent is spewing gas you either have a bad vent or something is overpressurizing your gas tank.

It wouldn't, typed it backwards...
when I open up enough to slow chain down it dies.

Would a bad vent cause gas to spew?
What could overpressurize the tank?

It isn't being ran long enough to get that hot I don't think.
I cleaned the crud out just in case.

You got a dealer that can press/vac test it for you to see if that's your problem? (an air leak)

What he said. Hard to fix a problem what you don't know what it is yet. If the sealer between the crankcase and pan is leaking or a crank seal is out, you can replace every part on the saw and it won't run any better.

Press/vac test is pretty early on in the diagnostic list.

What he said. Hard to fix a problem what you don't know what it is yet. If the sealer between the crankcase and pan is leaking or a crank seal is out, you can replace every part on the saw and it won't run any better.

Press/vac test is pretty early on in the diagnostic list.

I missed that part of his post.
How hard is it to pressure test?
I have the manual now - guess I need to read.
Not doubting. just asking. Will a leaky crankcase over pressurize the fuel tank?

Dan

a leaky crankcase will cause all kinds of problems including erratic idle, not idleing, it will make the saw run lean, make it impossible to tune properly. Im not sure about the fuel tank. Ive never had one apart but if there is a line from the tank to the manifold side of the carb or the crankcase then it could pressurize your tank.

Latest posts

Back