026 arguing with me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I picked up a Harbor Freight compression tester and it showed around 40 lbs but not sure I trust it."
----------------------------
That compression tester might be junk. As Pioneerguy600 said, "120 is bare bones."
OR
The 026 PRO has a decomp valve. Perhaps it was pushed in (open) when you ran the compression test. Please check that compression again. Be sure the decomp is pulled out.

I’d say the compression tester doesn’t have a shrader valve at the spark plug end and is giving a false reading. I got 25 psi on an old and brand new saw. Took it back, brought a quality one and it has 2 shrader valves. One on the attachment that screws into the spark plug hole and one on the opening to the dial indicator. I then got 165 psi on a new ms 180 and 110 on a scored ms 180 which sounds just right.

I would put Caber rings in it at this point too. But it will not “fix” the saw. I also think you have an air filter or fuel delivery problem.

I do plan on using the OEM rings but none of the local dealers have them in stock. Would you have a part number?Is there a good online source?

Stihl part number 1121 034 3010 for the 44mm rings. Have you measured the bore to be certain its a real 44mm jug for a 026? There is a bigger bore jug that will fit.

Stihl part number 1121 034 3010 for the 44mm rings. Have you measured the bore to be certain its a real 44mm jug for a 026? There is a bigger bore jug that will fit.
OP's post about unavailability of this part sounds fishy to me. Every Stihl dealer that I know can get these rings for an 026. The Stihl o26 is not dead in the water.

OP's post about unavailability of this part sounds fishy to me. Every Stihl dealer that I know can get these rings for an 026. The Stihl o26 is not dead in the water.

The guy told me they don’t place an order until they get $500 to get free shipping... seriously. Said it’s his companies policy. They won’t even let you pay for shipping.
I’ll try another dealer.

Time for a replacement, I would do both.[/QUOTE

I stopped at 5 Stihl dealers in my travels earlier this week and called 3, none had the rings in stock and I finally found one that said they could have it here early next week. The rest were from 1 to as much as 5 weeks. I was able to get the seals.
I also picked up another 026 (non-PRO) that runs well but needs a brake handle... I am a bit worried. This is how my Gravely collection got started.

I stopped at 5 Stihl dealers in my travels earlier this week and called 3, none had the rings in stock and I finally found one that said they could have it here early next week. The rest were from 1 to as much as 5 weeks. I was able to get the seals.
I also picked up another 026 (non-PRO) that runs well but needs a brake handle... I am a bit worried. This is how my Gravely collection got started.

I’d say the compression tester doesn’t have a shrader valve at the spark plug end and is giving a false reading. I got 25 psi on an old and brand new saw. Took it back, brought a quality one and it has 2 shrader valves. One on the attachment that screws into the spark plug hole and one on the opening to the dial indicator. I then got 165 psi on a new ms 180 and 110 on a scored ms 180 which sounds just right.

Curious as to the brand of tester you purchased, I am returning my HF tester and researching a better option.

I get them within 3 days, different country I guess, this dealer gets parts in every day, they don`t wait for large orders. Watch out for the 026`s, they just keep showing up and are difficult to let go, there is 10,maybe 11 now on my shelves while just as many have gone out the door after being refurbished. The 028`s once were the most sought out saws for firewooders here but they found out about the 026`s.

Is it worth the price for Stihl rings?
Thanks!
Be advised that you can get a WHOLE Stihl OEM piston kit INCLUDING the rings for about the same price for just the rings. If you are replacing the rings you might as well replace the piston as well.

Be advised that you can get a WHOLE Stihl OEM piston kit INCLUDING the rings for about the same price for just the rings. If you are replacing the rings you might as well replace the piston as well.
Would you have a part number for the kit?

Latest posts

Back