026 H screw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfe76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a 026 today for $180 w/ 20" bar. chain and saw in very good condition..started right up and very very clean..
Question: There is no H screw in the recess hole. the L and LA are there but the H recess hole is covered with the same material as the casing. What's up with that? Can I still adjust the carb with the L when necessary? Thanks

You can adjust the low setting, you have fixed High jet. I think you can drill some holes in the muff cover and get it to run better. Go slow, drill a hole, try it. Do a search for 026 mods, look for the fixed jet threads.

You can adjust the low setting, you have fixed High jet. I think you can drill some holes in the muff cover and get it to run better. Go slow, drill a hole, try it. Do a search for 026 mods, look for the fixed jet threads.

They are rumored to be fairly lean so i wouldnt go drilling holes just yet!
You would be better to find a fully adjustable carb if you plan to open the muffler.

Picked up a 026 today for $180 w/ 20" bar. chain and saw in very good condition..started right up and very very clean..
Question: There is no H screw in the recess hole. the L and LA are there but the H recess hole is covered with the same material as the casing. What's up with that? Can I still adjust the carb with the L when necessary? Thanks

Get yourself a Walbro model WT-426 it is fully adjustable and a direct fit to your saw. The only other thing you can do is change out the jets. As mentioned above don't drill any holes in the muffler untill you can adjust the high speed. :)

Im not 100% sure but I thought Lakeside said when you open muffler they run ok,not lean,but I would do a search and doublecheck.:)

Last edited:
you guys are great. I took the screen and screw for screen off the muffler before I read the threads...I was going to open up the muffler, but was glad I read your responses first. I will research the issue of opening up the muffler. I probably won't put a new carb in it. It runs great and looks great. I'm just a homeowner tool/saw nut.. (I know just enough to tear things up...) :)

you guys are great. I took the screen and screw for screen off the muffler before I read the threads...I was going to open up the muffler, but was glad I read your responses first. I will research the issue of opening up the muffler. I probably won't put a new carb in it. It runs great and looks great. I'm just a homeowner tool/saw nut.. (I know just enough to tear things up...) :)

MMM if you belive your just a homeowner sawnut you better do something real bad like post some po rn and get yourself banned asap
I only had 2 saws when i came here first!
Now i can pressure/vac test own every dremel bit ever made tachs etc
I put my 242XP back together in the living room when i got the GF off to work!

Yep, they were set to run rich, so people wouldn't burn them up. Lake says drilling a couple holes fixes them right up. Pull your plug, if is black and sooty-oily, you are runnin rich. Drilling a hole or two will lean it out some. SEARCH, you will find the answers.

thanks scottr....I will drill hole a "little bit" bigger....
clayshooter, I guess you shoot clays...I do a little shooting...mostly with a citori upland special 20 ga....24" barrels and shoots great...

I have two 026's, two echo 400's, one 011, one 290, and an echo 360...all great running (because they are hardly used)...but when I see them at the pawn shops I just can't pass them up when they are in great shape and cheap...my other 026 must be an older saw since it has a H & L screw...I learned how to adjust it on this forum...

I thought I read here that I can use a 3/8" drill to open up the existing muffler hole....sound right?

Grab a WT-194 walbro carb for your 026. Take that 403 B walbro out. It's a simple mod and the carb costs around $30. It has the fully adjustable jet. Look on ebay or check some local outdoor power fix it shops, I found one there NOS for $10.

P Can I still adjust the carb with the L when necessary? Thanks

Well my friend you got a lot of advice; but, no one answered your question. the answer is "YES". If it runs great and cuts great; don't get all excited about the numerous comments from the chainsaw 'junkies' on this forum. Just use it an enjoy it; it's a great saw. :buttkick:

thanks west texas....
and to all the others thanks so much..I will print out this thread and use the ideas when I go to change carbs, etc...thanks again..this is such a great forum..i learn so much just reading about this stuff...

thanks scottr....I will drill hole a "little bit" bigger....
clayshooter, I guess you shoot clays...I do a little shooting...mostly with a citori upland special 20 ga....24" barrels and shoots great...

I have two 026's, two echo 400's, one 011, one 290, and an echo 360...all great running (because they are hardly used)...but when I see them at the pawn shops I just can't pass them up when they are in great shape and cheap...my other 026 must be an older saw since it has a H & L screw...I learned how to adjust it on this forum...

I thought I read here that I can use a 3/8" drill to open up the existing muffler hole....sound right?

Yep the clue is in the name lol
By all means open the hole if your cuttin at low elevations it might just work!
If it was mine i wouldnt be brave enough without a adjustable carb!
Ive seen how little a diff that little screw can make!
the newer 260s have an adjustable carb dare i say Stihl made a mistake with that NA carb!

If you ever get a tach just hold a saw WOT and tweak that screw and see what an 1/8 of a turn does it could be between 14,000 and 15,500

Back