026 sprocket rim question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a 325-7 rim that needs replacing. Running 16 inch bar with chisel tooth chain. I have a 325-8 rim and was wondering what if any difference there would be using it? Thanks for reading...

Have a 325-7 rim that needs replacing. Running 16 inch bar with chisel tooth chain. I have a 325-8 rim and was wondering what if any difference there would be using it? Thanks for reading...

Noticeable increase in chain speed.

Likely you will prefer it to the 7 pin.

I'm running 7 pin .325" on same B&C you got. Haven't tried 8 pin but Mr. Snelling (I hope I spelled that right) run it on his 260. Let me know how it works.

He beat me to it. lol

I'm gonna try it. Wondered what others may have experienced. Thanks for the comments.

It was recommended I give it a try a good while ago.

Ran an 8T with .325 on semi chisel. Good stuff.

Currently I am running 3/8 - .050 and a 7T on the 026. So far I like it.

PAPlumber, I've been thinking of trying the 3/8. I like fewer teeth on all the bigger bars (skip and semi skip). Like the bigger drive links and fit in the bar versus 325. Also longer cutters and I've got alot of ton of 7-32 files around here.

I have been a little hard on it lately. Burying the bar frequently cutting blocks from knotty crotches. I'd be using a bigger saw but recovering from heart surgery and 026 is max therapy right now. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 pin bogs too much??

Thanks to all for the comments. I'll post my results later... woo

PAPlumber, I've been thinking of trying the 3/8. I like fewer teeth on all the bigger bars (skip and semi skip). Like the bigger drive links and fit in the bar versus 325. Also longer cutters and I've got alot of ton of 7-32 files around here.

I have been a little hard on it lately. Burying the bar frequently cutting blocks from knotty crotches. I'd be using a bigger saw but recovering from heart surgery and 026 is max therapy right now. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 pin bogs too much??

Thanks to all for the comments. I'll post my results later... woo

Ran the 026 for two full tanks of fuel, blocking a Black Oak on New Year's Day. Didn't even notice any bogging. A few of the cuts had the 18" bar buried.

Light hand, sharp chain, WOT (wide open throttle) in the wood.

If you want to waste money on a 3/8 chain on a 50cc saw that's not modded go ahead, do a timed cut in 12" hard wood before and after with the same style chains that are sharp and report back. Steve

Hardly, stock 260 will do fine with 3/8-7 and 16 inch bar and chain. Just keep it sharp and don't go hacking off the rakers.

Granted though 3/8 chain shines more on a ported 260.

Hardly, stock 260 will do fine with 3/8-7 and 16 inch bar and chain. Just keep it sharp and don't go hacking off the rakers.

Granted though 3/8 chain shines more on a ported 260.
Not cutting bigger hard wood, lets see some before and after results, not from your ported saws in 6" soft wood like I've already seen. Steve

Sorry, never bothered shooting video of cutting firewood. but have one stock 026 here that runs 3/8 just fine even in hardwood. There may well be cases where a faster cut could be made with .325, but it's far from calling a 3/8 a waste.

Now maybe if you have a burnt out 026 with 120 lb of compression, factory muffler outlet, plugged screen, stale gas, fouled pug... then yah the .325 with a 7 pin might be all it can pull:cheers:

I'm running older 026 with muffler mod only. Cut all hardwoods... oaks, maples and cherry. Rakers are 025. I figure if, at the very least I can save time sharpening fewer teeth with the 3/8 and, I believe the bottoms of the bigger chain last longer and keep the kerf longer than 325.

My old Dolmar 114 was a real puller with 3/8 and I got alot of chain life.

Timing the actual cut is only part of the whole. I'll know it if the saw bogs too easy.

I'd like to have a ported engine but I'm too cheap.

Thanks again to all the thinkin.... woo

Sorry, never bothered shooting video of cutting firewood. but have one stock 026 here that runs 3/8 just fine even in hardwood. There may well be cases where a faster cut could be made with .325, but it's far from calling a 3/8 a waste.

Now maybe if you have a burnt out 026 with 120 lb of compression, factory muffler outlet, plugged screen, stale gas, fouled pug... then yah the .325 with a 7 pin might be all it can pull:cheers:
I remember a video you put on here a while back on the same subject, I could dig back a little and find it if you want. You claimed it was a stock (if you really own a stock saw) 026 or 260 cutting with 3/8 and 325 chain and it was about even BUT it looked like 6" softwod and even I'll agree it might be close in 6" softwood. The difference on my Rancher55 was huge between 325 and 3/8 cutting larger hardwood. Steve

Try it and see. You certainly won't hurt anything. If you're cutting bigger stuff, you'll prefer the 7-pin though.

:agree2: Yep, just try it on your saw, in your wood, and find out - easy to swap back and forth on that saw, as I do on my 361 (3/8" though).

Last edited:
I have run .325 on most of my saws and I think that it sucks. It has too wide a kerf. I run all 3/8" LP or 3/8" standard now and I do not look back. If they made .325 NK for Stihl, I might try it again.

As for the rims, the 8 pin will give you more chain speed at the price of lower torque.

Much ado about not much. If anything it cut better with the 325-8. Maybe because the chain wasn't new (teeth a little shorter)? Now I gotta find a 3/8 bar to try. Thanks for the comments... woo

I didn't say the teeth were "too short". Just a lil off and sharp. Cut well blocking some old maple and some small limbs for fire starters. That is until it hit the nails grown over from an old treestand.

Back