026 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfe76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
You guys helped me with my 011, so here goes....
Got this 026 at flea mkt for $50. very clean with 20" bar....changed spark plug (and checked for spark)....did compression test using starter cord method (saw dropped slowly), cleaned air filter, checked H & L (backed out 1 turn)...put in fresh fuel, choked it, but no start ...pull cord is only about 28" long (should be 37", but I will change that if I ever get it to run)...checked exhaust screen and took it off (but it was not clogged at all)......fresh mix..... I also took off air filter and sprayed wd40 down carb, but still wouldn't fire....so any thoughts out there?

Don't count on the starter cord for a compression test, a saw with a scored piston can cause a lot of friction.
Pull the muffler cover and look at the piston through the exhaust port.

the old plug had a lot of gray carbon on it (around the center electrode and side electrode)...but wouldn't it at least "fire" even with a scored piston?

I assumed that the plug was fireing (spark).
The plug should not have light grey carbon on it. This indicates a lean condition, that will damage the piston, ring and eventually (as little as a few minutes) the cylinder.
To answer, it is possible for the compression to be low enough for the saw to not fire.
This is just a guess, it could be many things.

Last edited:
yes, i feared that. the old plug did fire, but i replaced it anyway....I bet the cylinder and rings are ruined due to bad mix (or no "mix")....I 'll take off muffler and let you know...but not sure exactly what I am looking for through exhaust......scarring and lines on piston walls? thanks joe

Wow, you guys are fast.....assuming it is scored....what is ball park cost to get this repaired? Saw is otherwise in very good condition....80%.
I am mechanically "inclined", but never done a "top end" (?) job.

I just went and took a picture of a scored 026 picture...but it didn't turn out that great.

Andy - Here is that clean crankcase I boxed up for you ;). No in all honesty I did box up two clean ones, a spare crank, and that muffler for ya and it will go out tommorrow.

I guess its all dependant on if the cylinder can be salvaged and rehoned. If it can I have some spare new oem 026 pistons and I'd sell you one cheap if you'd like.

To have a dealer do it ..it might cost a few dollars because I don't think they rehone cylinders ever and would just charge you for a new piston and cylinder (probably over $200) plus labor. If you want I'll just buy the saw from you to save you all the hassle ;).

no,haven't checked to see if switch is shorted out....I have a continuity tester, but what are steps in testing?
bcorr, I might just take you parts or maybe even selling it to you....saw really looks good, that is why I bought it, thinking fix would be minor.
It's midnite here, so i might turn in and check with replies tomorrow....thanks so much for all of your help.
these darn saws are addictive!!

Compression may be low. If it is very good it almost should hold the weight of the saw as light as an 026 is. My current ebay 026 is low and drops what I would say very slow. It starts hard cold, once it is running runs decent but not as strong as my previous 026. The cylinder - piston also has some rattlin noise coming from it.
Do check your fuel filter and line,may need to clean your carb and install a carb kit.You may have some old fuel in the cylinder that needs flushed out first thing,then if that doesnt get it to fire, I may get ribbed for this suggestion but I would mix some fuel 16 to 1 and prime it a little with this and see if it will run on a richer oil mixture. If border line compression is the issue you can decide what you want to do from there. I would run a few tanks through it like that if it started then switch to 25 to1 and run it if it did ok like that.
Just my first thoughts , may need to apply some more.

Checking for spark like trigger-trime said isn't a bad idea either. The easiest way is to just pull the top shroud off of it by loosening the flathead screw and lifting it off. Then rest the hex of the plug onto the top of the cylinder while you pull the saw over while in the run position. Eventhough this won't definitively test the quality of the spark it will tell you if you have spark at all. Based on my exp coils going bad are a rarity so if you have spark, it will more than likely be of a high enough quality for the saw to run.

Ok investigate it a bit more tommorrow and let me know what you come up with. If you decide to sell it I'd be more than happy to buy it from you.

Wow, you guys are fast.....assuming it is scored....what is ball park cost to get this repaired? Saw is otherwise in very good condition....80%.
I am mechanically "inclined", but never done a "top end" (?) job.

If you are mechanically inclined, you will be amazed at how easy a "top end" is to replace. The parts can probably be found from members here for a very reasonable price.

well, I'm a beaten man. couldn't get it started. If the plug fires, that means the switch is good, right?
Clint, from this site, has offered to rebuild it for me.....what a nice guy and I haven't even met him yet!...
I gradually backed the L out at 1/4 turn intervals but still wouldn't start...I even sprayed carb cleaner in intake without air filter and not even a sputter....
I took muffler off and exhaust port had a lot of carbon around edges, but the piston and cylinder didn't look too bad, there were some "lines" (scoring?).
THANKS for everyone's help...I will let everyone know how this turns out.

Latest posts

Back