028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys- Whats up.
I recently acquired an older 028av super that needs fuel lines at the minimum. The saw ran great before it sat up for about 15 years now. I was wanting to know if this model is a decent saw worth putting a little tlc into, or if it is a POS homeowner model? Thanks:greenchainsaw:

That's a really nice saw, back from when a Stihl was simply a Stihl - no designation among homeowner, midrange, and pro saws. It definately would be worth sticking some $$ into to fix it up. My buddy's dad has one that's as about as old as I am. He has used it quite a bit over the years and never had a problem. Well, the recoil spring broke last year so I put a new one in - minor. Get it going and go cut some wood.

Hi guys- Whats up.
I recently acquired an older 028av super that needs fuel lines at the minimum. The saw ran great before it sat up for about 15 years now. I was wanting to know if this model is a decent saw worth putting a little tlc into, or if it is a POS homeowner model? Thanks:greenchainsaw:

A wonderful little saw as reliable as the sun rising.

Heavy by todays standards and the AV is dated too. Neither of those have bothered me in the 25 yrs I've had mine. My 036 is as light and has more power but the 028S has had less problems. A good 028S will last many years/cords and I'd buy another if didn't already own one.

Theee Firewood saw

Back in Theeee days, this was Theee Firewood saw. It still is a great saw. I have a like new one, I need to sell it. I keep putting it off, not sure I want to. It's a beeeoootiful saw! With a muff mod, they scream. Very easy to work on, reliable and parts-a-plenty. Enjoy it, if it wears out, put a Super p/c on it!

Direct bolt-on, gives you another 5 cc. Fix her up. Check all the rubber pieces, a crack in the carb boot will fry it.

Oops

I see it is a Super, I have seen so many WB lately. What bar and chain is on it? Mine pulls a 20" .325 7T RSC in Pine very well.

The early models had front chain adj., late models have side adj.

I will need to get a bar and chain for it. i want to run 3/8 .050 We buy that stuff by the roll. probably gonna go with 16" or 18". Will this saw pull a 20" bar with 3/8 .050?

I run .325 16" on all mine 3/8 would work on 16" bar (in hardwood) not sure about any longer seems about all it wants
I would think 20" would be too much
my 2 cents

If you are in hard wood, you might want to stay with a 16". If you are in soft wood, 18" with 3/8 pitch. Remember, the 3/8 7 tooth sprocket is about the same diameter as a 8 tooth .325 sprocket. I cut softwood w/ 20" .325, but the 7 tooth is a lot smaller, gives it more torque. The muffler mod and retune helps a lot also.

I think that i might go with .325 .050 We just got the new Bailey's flier, and they have a carlton 16" bar and chain combo .325 .050 for only $16.95. Think i'm gonna order a couple of those.:greenchainsaw:

I bought 1 recently for resale and have been using it with an 8 tooth .325 and 16" bar . It easily pulls it through 15 " black locust trunks . I cut in 16" length and limbed a b.locust tree about 18" at 2" above the ground all with the 028 super and about exactly 1 tank of gas. It yielded well over an face cord, about 4' x10' x16" . The last 028 super I had w/ 7 tooth .325 and 20" bar would have took closer to 2 tanks of fuel and even though it had the power in the cut , the chain didn't have the speed to cut as fast. I don't like 7 tooth .325 with either the 028 or o26 or o34 etc..It seems to make them gas guzzelers more then anything and I think it slows the cutting speed in most situations with a few exceptions such as burying a 20 " bar in 20 " of wood, which in that case I'd use 1 of my bigger saws.

Latest posts

Back