Like-New 028 AV Super VS New Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$239?! Thatā€™s a SMOKING deal. I need to know who it is so I can take a screenshot to my Home Depot..everyone needs a backup saw, right?
I think it was quality farm and fleet or someone similar. I just had to print up the ad and take to my echo dealer. They gassed them up and filled with bar oil and registered the warranty and tuned them šŸ˜ that was weingartz where I got the saws. Good thing was I didn't have to drive 3 hrs to get the saws since my dealer matched them and he was like 30 mins away

I would also be concerned why the 028 was so unused - maybe early engine damage and it was just put away? With the Echo you get a warranty.
It might be the same reason why my Stihl MS361 is rather unused by today's standards. I bought a Husky 257 for one-fourth the cost in order to preserve the 361. Now I have decided to use the 361 while I still can. Gadzooks! I have now rediscovered what a terrific saw the MS361 really is, and I will likely continue to use the 361 again tomorrow and many times thereafter. I should never have put it away.

Oh, and I also salted away a Stihl 028 Super to save it while I ran a couple of Husqvarna 350's. Not sure why I did that either. That 028 runs like a bandit.

Have my 075 as well as the 090 on the shelf and rarely if ever even run them. One thing is, they are heavy and two, a bear to start up even with the comp releases. Should sell them on here but my asking price would be pretty steep. Bought them both new when I bought the 028 btw.

Not that is matters but the 028 might need a lot of work. I have an 026 ,034, an Echo 501,and 620. I like the 501 the best. However 30" hardwood is huge. The 590 is your best bet. I like my 620, but it heavier . The Echo 501P sure is a heck of a saw for a 50cc. I thik the bars on Echo is much inferior to Stihl though.

So it turned out the closest dealer to me had some Makita/Dolmar saws in stock. Initially, I checked his website for pricing on an Echoā€¦but when I saw their Makita options (what a great pun) I got curious and did some reading. Even though theyā€™re discontinued, seems like theyā€™re excellent machines.

Then, I noticed he had the Makita EA6100 20ā€ listed online for way less than an Echo CS-590. I called after work today to ask if he had any in stock at that price, and found out it was a pricing error on his part when he set up the page. He offered to honor what he had online, but I told him I didnā€™t want to take money out of his pockets.

When I got there he said heā€™d sell the EA6100 to me at his cost of $400ā€¦.And thatā€™s how I ended up with a new Dolkita in the back of my truck!

Heā€™s got a ton of Makita/Dolmar parts heā€™s setting aside to be able to service his customerā€™s saws once they arenā€™t available through regular channels, and turns out to be one of the closest shops around. Super nice guy, and overall a great experience. Looking forward to supporting him in the future.
That relationship is worth a whole lot. You might make a new friend, one who can share and encourage your new hobby with you. Chainsaws are tons of fun, and if you are not really experienced with them, learning (and practicing) safety is time well spent. One thing I trained myself to do is hit the chain brake before I move to a different log, especially if there is brush on the ground, which for me is nearly all the time. Also, familiarize yourself with the action of the bar tip, especially as regards kickback. The tip can be used to draw the bar through the log, doing most of the work for you. I do that when cutting big stumps flush to the ground.

I do like the 028 a lot, and I paid too much for a near-mint specimen recently, mainly because I wanted one, and that saw, though a bit heavy by modern standards, is just plain fun to use. Dolmars are great saws, with better air filtration and cutting speed than older Stihls.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back