Like-New 028 AV Super VS New Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakeai

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new homeowner here and I’ve been on an absolute deep-dive into chainsaws for the last week or so. I discovered this forum researching different options and I’m excited to be here. We cut up and stacked a lot of wood growing up, and I’m looking forward to continuing the tradition in my own place.

SO, there’s an absolutely *mint* 028 AV Super Wood Boss for sale locally. Hardly a scratch anywhere on it, even the paint on the bottom is fresh. Even comes with the original hard case. The guy is asking $450.

First question: Is this a fair price? From what I can find in the trading post and on eBay, it seems to be ok. Not a lot of like-new 028s on the market.

Second question: Would I be better served by a new-production saw in the $400-$500 price range? Seems like the Echo CS-590 is the go-to recommendation.
Like most people, I’m planning on doing a couple cords of firewood this season. Maybe more next year depending on how things go. Most wood I have access to won’t be larger than 30” diameter. My other thought is to try and offer $375 or so, then pick up a second/newer saw down the road if the 028 isn’t enough.

The 028 Super is one of the toughest saws ever made. The are absolutely simple to maintain and operate, they pull a 20inch bar with ease and will basically last you your life. The parts are cheap and plentiful with a very good Aftermarket support or stihl dealer can still get most parts.
Thing is there's millions of them! You could probably buy 5 of them in not so nice condition for 450! I've had 3 of them and didn't pay more then 30$ for any of them.
I see very good examples of them for 250.00 online every day, so don't over pay for one.
The Echo might be a good saw ,I have their arborist top handle saw , and really like it. The parts are expensive and proprietary , basically if you do wear something out or have to fix something its gonna cost you whatever echo feels necessary.
Do some more looking.

SO, there’s an absolutely *mint* 028 AV Super Wood Boss for sale locally. Hardly a scratch anywhere on it, even the paint on the bottom is fresh. Even comes with the original hard case. The guy is asking $450.
IMO, Waaaay too much money for a saw that you are planning on using on a regular basis.

The saw is probably 30-40 years old and even though it hasn't been used much rubber parts like seals, fuel lines, AV buffers, etc. degrade with time and exposure to atmospheric ozone. Unique parts have likely been discontinued decades ago and are likely NLA. While you may be able to find a selection of used parts online they may not be what you need.

Walk into your local Stihl shop and see if you can buy an OEM air filter, fuel line, or impulse line and see what you come up with. If you think that parts are hard to find now just wait another decade or so when you need one.

This saw is best for a collector looking for a shelf "queen".

028 is a super common saw, millions upon million were sold and half or more are still running today. Unless its new in box I wouldn't pay over 250 for one and expect to replace every rubber part and rebuild the carb in its first year of use just due to age. As always I suggest the smallest lightest saw for the job, work smarter not harder! But when you cut huge wood pull out the heavy saw with the most cc's so your done and relaxing asap and the saw dosent break a sweat!

IMO, Waaaay too much money for a saw that you are planning on using on a regular basis.

The saw is probably 30-40 years old and even though it hasn't been used much rubber parts like seals, fuel lines, AV buffers, etc. degrade with time and exposure to atmospheric ozone. Unique parts have likely been discontinued decades ago and are likely NLA. While you may be able to find a selection of used parts online they may not be what you need.

Walk into your local Stihl shop and see if you can buy an OEM air filter, fuel line, or impulse line and see what you come up with. If you think that parts are hard to find now just wait another decade or so when you need one.

This saw is best for a collector looking for a shelf "queen".

Thanks for the replies everyone, it’s looking like a new saw is the way to go. I’ll definitely post an update with whatever I end up getting.

My vote is get the Echo 590. That`s a real good saw. Why mess with old/used when a new saw cost isn`t that much more than what that 028 is. I use to be a Stihl guy, but not anymore since switching to Echo saws not long ago. My Stihls just didn`t have the dependability i get with the Echo saws. I can`t tell you anything about Echo`s warranty, i`ve never had to use it on any Echo product i own. I`ve got an old Echo weed trimmer i`ve had for many decades. Never been torn down, and we still use it every year, and its still running good. It refuses to die. That says alot about the Echo brand, to me. You do what you gotta do, but i`ll stick with the Echo brand.

I bought the echo 620 and am satisfied. Seems like many people start with a 590 and then upgrade parts towards a 620, but I suspect that this costs more than a 620 in total. I don't want to sound like a shill, but sawsuppliers has a great price, and with code "firewood" they discount further. I bought from them and was happy with the service. YMMV, but I doubt it.

At the same time, I've not heard any complaints about the 590, so if you stay stock it'd be a great purchase.

So it turned out the closest dealer to me had some Makita/Dolmar saws in stock. Initially, I checked his website for pricing on an Echo…but when I saw their Makita options (what a great pun) I got curious and did some reading. Even though they’re discontinued, seems like they’re excellent machines.

Then, I noticed he had the Makita EA6100 20” listed online for way less than an Echo CS-590. I called after work today to ask if he had any in stock at that price, and found out it was a pricing error on his part when he set up the page. He offered to honor what he had online, but I told him I didn’t want to take money out of his pockets.

When I got there he said he’d sell the EA6100 to me at his cost of $400….And that’s how I ended up with a new Dolkita in the back of my truck!

He’s got a ton of Makita/Dolmar parts he’s setting aside to be able to service his customer’s saws once they aren’t available through regular channels, and turns out to be one of the closest shops around. Super nice guy, and overall a great experience. Looking forward to supporting him in the future.

So it turned out the closest dealer to me had some Makita/Dolmar saws in stock. Initially, I checked his website for pricing on an Echo…but when I saw their Makita options (what a great pun) I got curious and did some reading. Even though they’re discontinued, seems like they’re excellent machines.

Then, I noticed he had the Makita EA6100 20” listed online for way less than an Echo CS-590. I called after work today to ask if he had any in stock at that price, and found out it was a pricing error on his part when he set up the page. He offered to honor what he had online, but I told him I didn’t want to take money out of his pockets.

When I got there he said he’d sell the EA6100 to me at his cost of $400….And that’s how I ended up with a new Dolkita in the back of my truck!

He’s got a ton of Makita/Dolmar parts he’s setting aside to be able to service his customer’s saws once they aren’t available through regular channels, and turns out to be one of the closest shops around. Super nice guy, and overall a great experience. Looking forward to supporting him in the future.
Nice deal. I have a Solo 681 with a super blown top end somewhere, they share many parts. Solid saw. There's an HD aif filter upgrade available for the Dolkitas, if you're not happy with the stock one.
I'd stock some parts for the saw right away, if you're planning to use it for a while.

I will say I bought my 028 over 40 years ago and it still runs like a raped ape and pulls a 20" bar with full chipper, no issue. I have the one with the heated handle too. Hard to beat 'handle heat' on a cold winter day.
I have never seen nor heard of an 028 with heated handles. Sold in the north only perhaps? Not arguing, just never heard of one.

I have never seen nor heard of an 028 with heated handles. Sold in the north only perhaps? Not arguing, just never heard of one.
When I purchased it, it was a dealer installed option (I believe at least and been so long I don't really remember) and it works peachy too. On-Off switch is located on the right side of the saw adjacent to and directly across from the single lever control. Saw runs just fine and has a pampered life, always premium lubricants and now canned gas too. It was starting to run a bit sketchy but once I switched it to Red Armor, it got 'unsketchy' again. I suspect at some point I'll need to replace some internal seals, but so far I have not.

Powder coat is a bit chipped on the bottom and it still has the OEM fuel and pulse hoses too.

Back when I used it pretty hard but today it's semi retired and living an easy life.

One thing I do like is the old school screw down fuel and bar oil caps. I just sold an MS290 with the new style split caps that for me, always leaked. Guess that is another reason I like the Echo's, no split caps on them.

Latest posts

Back