028 chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane98

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some of the other 028 saws come without a chain brake? I got one from a barn auction that I’m restoring and was just looking and I don’t see where you would mount the brake band in the back of the case.

Yes some of the older ones didn't have the chain brake. they had a flag or flap that was a chain protector in case the chain came off. I forget the year but it was before the super or wood boss I believe.

I’ve sent the case to be powder coated so I don’t have the serial # but mine is a wood boss but no anchor point to mount the chain band at the back of the case.

The earlier ones also had a metal tank, I have one. Of course it now has the super top end...

028 super is what started my CAD. My dad had one and I wanted to get it going. started visiting sites like this and YouTube, and it was down the rabbit hole. Nonow that saw is part of my collection and I'm proud of it.

Early ones didn't have chain brake, metal handle/fuel tank, and point ign. Not sure what you have for P/C but a super top end will bolt on and 4mm bigger bore than what the early/first 028 had. If original is in good shape may want to keep it that way?

Post some pictures when you get it done. That saw is an old survivor.

My first Stihl was a 028S that I still have and it still runs great.

Yeah I’m going to put a 1300 coil on it and took the points out of it. Not a big fan of the points. I think I’m going to leave it stock the way it is….the p/c is in great shape. Somebody just didn’t take care of it and let set outside in a barn or some place and didn’t ever clean it so it was really bad but after a couple days I got it cleaned up and stripped down. I’ll put bearings and seals and rubber in it. See what it has after that. By the way…. Thank all you guys that helped me with the 066. It’s almost finished. I’ll see if it’s going to run later next week. I know it has unbelievable compression so if I can pull it I’ll see if it going to run. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back