028 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone tell me the carb settings for the STIHL 028WB. Thanks!
Also, will this saw run a 24" bar 3/8 chain???

I have 4 of the 028`s and they run very well set at around 1 turn out from lightly seated on both needles to start with and just a little tweaking once started and warmed up you will need to set the low speed to get the best idle. A little under a full turn to 1 and 1/4 out should work and then set the high speed to get the highest rpm which will be too lean so then back out the needle a bit,1/8 to 1/4 turn counterclockwise to richen up the setting. If all the settings are between 3/4 - 1 and 1/4 turn out from lightly seated your saw should run well but if not there is other issues that need looking into.
The 028`s work best with 325 chain and a bar 20" or shorter, they are not power houses even when modified and cut their best when running without a lot of down pressure by the operator,a sharp chain will allow these saws to cut at their best. IMO
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Those settings are in line with my 028 with a super cylinder, however, you just can't go by settings alone. You need to be able to know the "sound" of a properly asjusted carb/chainsaw. Otherwise, too lean and you burn it up, too rich and it will lack power.

A 16 inch bar seems right for an 028. I would not go more than 18 inch, and 325 chain is good advice. 3/8 is asking more of your saw, and with a 20 inch, thats pushing it.

Here is a link to carb tuning that includes some wav files on how a saw is supposed to sound when slightly "4 cycling". That is a term used to describe a slightly rich mixture to prevent your saw from running lean and burning up the piston/cylinder.

http://www.madsens1.com/saw carb tune.htm

BTW, turning the screws out richen the mixture. Good luck, KD

i have a super that i run 325 chain and a 18 in bar. i would take the above advice 18 in is the most id run but it runs it well imo. a muffler mod really woke mine up. i like the saw alot and bet you will too. you may want to have the saw tached at a shop esp if you do a muffler mod.

Latest posts

Back