028 shutoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New member here, I've been lurking for awhile and I enjoy the site and recently joined. A little background, I'm not new to wood cutting or wood stoves and I have years of experience blueprinting and rebuilding kart racing engines both 2 and 4 stroke. I'm getting more interested in chainsaw repair and maintenance and old saws. I have a couple of vintage saws needing work that I bought new in the late 1979 or 1980 when I started burning wood.

My equipment: Homelite sxlao, Craftsman 2.7(?) Stihl 251c, Stihl 170, Craftsman 4218, Poulan 220 pro, Stihl 028S, Brave 24T splitter, Ford 9n, Ford 03 F350 7.3. The Craftsman 4218 and the Poulan Pro are both throw away saws and I only have about $100 invested in both but with a muff mod and a good sharp chain they throw a lot of chips in a short time.

I picked up a 028 for cheap as it wasn't running good enough to cut wood. Took me awhile to to start because the shutoff isn't correct and when set on choke or run it had no spark. After I got the saw running properly I tried to figure out the shutoff and it has me scratching my head. The flat spring appears to be making contact as it should at choke and run and no contact at engine off. Black wire looks to go directly to coil and a yellow wire is connected at the bottom of the flat spring and the other end is at the front cover screw going down into the engine case (ground). I disconnected the yellow wire at the ground and now have a spark in all 3 positions as I expected so I can use the choke to start but I want it to be right so i'm looking for suggestions.

Back