028 Stihl ( 1982 ) parts and quandry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnutz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I want to buy a 5100. But with the economy the way it is I don't really have the cash. Secondly my pops doesn't think I need another saw till the WildThang tosses it's cookies anyhow ( although ironically he owns 2 saws ).
But he has given me permission to use his old 028. It fired up nice tonight but was very loud. After a moment or two I put 2 and 2 together, loud and brown around the vented cover of the pull string. My guess the muffler has mod'd itself over the years.

So where can one find replacement parts thats friendly to deal with, and with reasonable prices?

Next question 028 Woodboss ( the saw dad has ) is that a 028 or an 028 Super? or does it really matter? are there any differences. I also have seen post regaurding 028 AV and AV2 ?? Which is compatible part wise with what?

I'm going out tomorrow to give the 028 a work out. Oh another interesting thing, somewhere on here there is a post about older chainsaw specs. Both links say the 028 weighs 11.7 lbs or close to that but the book that came with pop's saw says almost 14 lbs.

Thanks in advance
Rick

Dude, you had access to an 028 and you were still using the WILD THING!!:jawdrop:
Honestly, any Stihl dealer should be able to get the parts you need. If you don't want to pay new prices, I would start surfing Ebay. There are tons of parts available for all Stihl saws on Ebay.

If you have access to a welder, you could probably salvage the muffler that is on it. It would take a little patience to get the cover removed, but the muffler is steel and could be easily welded with a MIG welder. There is a possibility that it just has some loose bolts as well.

Have fun tearing into the old saw... very rewarding working on them, and parts aren't too expensive if you utilize Ebay.

TFB

If the muffler is loosing pieces be careful it does not suck one in and lunch your piston/cyl.

Also if it's loud you now have a "muffler Mod.", be careful it does not run lean.

When you have muffler off measure bore, 028s came in 3 sizes: 42, 44, and 46 mm. The super is the 46.

If the muffler is loosing pieces be careful it does not suck one in and lunch your piston/cyl.

Also if it's loud you now have a "muffler Mod.", be careful it does not run lean.

When you have muffler off measure bore, 028s came in 3 sizes: 42, 44, and 46 mm. The super is the 46.

So the 028 Farm Boss could be any of the 3??

So the 028 Farm Boss could be any of the 3??

I dont think its the 46mm Super. As far as I know, all the supers had "Super" on the ID badge of the top cover. Another way to tell is, with the muffler off, or the spark plug removed, look and see if the piston is domed. Only the Super had a domed piston.

good news!!

Got out to dad's place this morning and told him we probably better look at the muffler just to be on the safe side. Muffler is clean and solid, guess it is just a lot louder than what I am used to.

Figured out which 028 he has as well, its the 42 mm. Now I need to start hunting for a SUPER!!

Thanks for the help guys :yourock:

Got out to dad's place this morning and told him we probably better look at the muffler just to be on the safe side. Muffler is clean and solid, guess it is just a lot louder than what I am used to.

Figured out which 028 he has as well, its the 42 mm. Now I need to start hunting for a SUPER!!

Thanks for the help guys :yourock:
how does the gasket between the muffler and cylinder look, could be leaking there as for loud, most older saws tend to be a bit louder than saws of today, they had less restriction in the mufflers.

could use a new one now that I pulled the muffler off but its all intact.

ok just when I thought I had this whole 028 thing figured out I saw a 028 AV Super Wood Boss on ebone. And that is what the metal tag on the engine cover said... 028 AV SUPER Wood Boss :jawdrop:

Dad asked if I liked his saw after using it today or if he should throw it away. I told him to throw it away as long as he told me where he dumped it !!!

Back