028 Super problem? *vid*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mphjeep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been trying to get this saw running for weeks now, but I am stumped to what could be going on with it. It idles well, but well I squeeze the throttle, I get this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxY4eHvWq4
I took it to the local stihler and they did a vac test on it, said they replaced the clutch side seal, but that it needed carb work. I took it home and swapped out the carb from my dad's running 028 WB. Both our saw's run the Walbro wt-16 but the problem was still there. Next I tried swapping coils. no change either... I do not have feeler gauges but read on this forum about using a business card to gap the coil/flywheel. Does anybody have any ideas?
thanks, and great site!
matt

I feel your pain. I have an 056 that does the same thing. Idles great but will cut out like that on WOT. I replaced coils, carb, and fuel filters and mine still does that. I can't wait to hear what might be wrong with yours so I can try to fix mine. I haven't vac tested mine yet so mine might be leak somewhere.

whats the problem???? appears to be running fine. edit = or were you holding it WOT the whole time? i cant tell whether you were going wot and holding it or off and on? id put good mix it in along with a new plug, and clean the carb out. make sure the carb is adjusted properly too. edit = also if you have done all that already, its obviously a matter of it not getting enough fuel at WOT replace your lines. and check the vent on the tank, put a new fuel filter on it too.

Last edited:
Run it with the kill wire disconnected from the coil, you will have to choke it to shut it down.
If it runs good, then you have a bare spot on your kill wire.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I was holding WOT the whole time on the vid...
I will put a new plug in and also disconnect the kill wire. The tank vent is new, the fuel line is new, but not the filter. it seemed good when I replaced the line, but who knows. I would like to get my hands on an inline spark tested to watch while its running. can these be had at auto stores? Well I will try as many suggestions as I can and report back. thanks
matt:cheers:

These guys gave you good advice. Do not forget the carb kit. Upon disassembly, use carb cleaner on every orifice (including the needle jets) after you have removed them. This is an easy job.

It really does sound like you may have a grounded ignition somewhere, but fuel delivery problems could do that also.

You should tell us where you have set the carb screws. I say that because if your high speed mix screw is backed way out it may indicate an air leak.

There is a very good chance that there is not much wrong with that saw. nice looking 028 by the way.

edit: I notice that it is an older model... you might want to think about taking a look at your points, if it is a points-style ignition. A little pitting or some deposits will make them arc. An errant spark at the wrong time would certainly cause what we see.

Last edited:
Good to hear you were able to fix it. Good advise as usual from the members here. A great resource to be sure.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back