028 tune-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got this saw from my Pop a couple of years ago, and rebuilt the carb right away. The chain was rotten and never cut well so it sat a while. I found this site a while back and have done some milling with it. After upgrading to the 20" bar it has worked pretty well.

The last 3 or 4 times I did some cutting with it, it got to bogging down. I took the carb apart to find the fuel screen clogged each time and cleaned it real well trying to make do. This sucks of course because right when you get going it happens.

I decided it needed a new air filter, but didn't want to spend the $30 the dealer wants. Then thinking that wouldn't cause a fuel screen to clog. Low-and-behold it has a fuel filter in the tank. I replaced that and figured I would post some pictures for posterity.

To remove the pick-up tube I forced it gently through the tank hole into the tank. When I replaced it I fed the whole filter and tube into the tank and poked it through the hole and pulled into place.

The saw runs really well now and doesn't bog down any where near as bad as it did before (even when clean. Also I can get all the fuel from the tank now. Before, it had to be refilled at the half way point because the filter wasn't picking fuel up very well. The new filter is a much better design too.

Back