028 WB- rebuild or part out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas_son

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_20171104_105823.jpg IMG_20171104_144636.jpg IMG_20171104_144647.jpg IMG_20171104_144704.jpg IMG_20171104_144710.jpg Again, this is a saw my dad probably grabbed at an auction or something. I have no history on it. Wondering if I should get the parts and try to get her going again, or just sell what I have for parts?AF
XSpsKAwVhPzD0Wosr2WEAmOar_41FR9qGl-YGT2CXNAxJyDNeHEZpejAwGHELS6QBzLkoj2J3PcpZXbI0YwDm3RDf1qLrL5Luq5pLW-lTulVY9nSKZ8dIwBirmTfBOHBIR6M7pkDuFP5Mzr3gh98bOA9N_moCJTyo-iXWPX-skK6xqB_A-NUJqzwyzYXDjMq_aYpV7Sc0so3zkKX1Vbx_HDYRGmI50B6x3ZlwJhpyw8m9I8vV1UI8Vqj-ohlCl2XSv7e3gpeIqlmCbb0cXCAuUCDM0J0UYZpMkqrl8IrtqWIrFYd2NG9jl9R3nQgPyYV4b_lP_EGi10_eol4U-UZBV3zIsI4XDwtZVYQJRa_wtUPtIBV20ABZBRucWmNqW84zalEJSjBvsFDPgCeubAe0kGPKraGUAMT_W7GvoNMwHvvQoOVyfksv3Qw9lUHk4-c_-b7mu2JWw9eT5Bi1KQMtapTaGCDji9B4wojnMdhFDx9LAry6GtKcTy8TqHq2fuf0ecD1l0o0RbQRtEKXVq9WFNZ0NNmIQC4qfkRl_lM5dEBBUdWoDqidpA1HR6_ZcqiGIMP8KJHG8EwheU5Al1SpauwKSp9PkF6sKVKo1SpUJXyvKKDM5XSmVRase8LAHv3Uqi7SP2heo0fZT4BWoIGTZzxPMnmNKww790=w2718-h2038-no

Just ask around here, there are tons of parts laying around. You might want to plan on popping on a good used 029/ms290 coil. Ask here for a starter, if not, look on e-bay.

Thank you! With that 029 coil- would I need a different flywheel or anything? It's just a better coil for this saw? Thanks again-

So I'd need the coil, pull starter, muffler, that top rear cover, then whatever bar and chain. Of course I wish I knew why someone pulled the thing apart to begin with!

must be fall cause 28's and 31's rolling out from under the brush....ya missing a bunch of stuff...but those parts are everywhere ck chainsawer and you could add up prices for the stuff you obviously need....if have comp and spark and you don't crack into the bottom end prob close to 50 in parts....a runner that cuts tome these days and im gonna get some grief ...is at best a 100.00 saw and it better have a decent bar and chain on it! could prob find a seized one for the stuff ya need and get on a endless trend of building 28's !Im not sure but the last on of those it did was getting hard to get one side of the crank seal....hey make a good saw and they are tough....I think a 61 husky is better or a old wood saw just cause there a bit simpler to work on but not as compact as the 28.....as stated ask around here and tons of parts pm me for instance if ya want I have a recoil and such....its a classic and is a good example of the forefathers of the modern saw.....good luck not much of an answer but a good ramble for sure !

the can

must be fall cause 28's and 31's rolling out from under the brush....ya missing a bunch of stuff...but those parts are everywhere ck chainsawer and you could add up prices for the stuff you obviously need....if have comp and spark and you don't crack into the bottom end prob close to 50 in parts....a runner that cuts tome these days and im gonna get some grief ...is at best a 100.00 saw and it better have a decent bar and chain on it! could prob find a seized one for the stuff ya need and get on a endless trend of building 28's !Im not sure but the last on of those it did was getting hard to get one side of the crank seal....hey make a good saw and they are tough....I think a 61 husky is better or a old wood saw just cause there a bit simpler to work on but not as compact as the 28.....as stated ask around here and tons of parts pm me for instance if ya want I have a recoil and such....its a classic and is a good example of the forefathers of the modern saw.....good luck not much of an answer but a good ramble for sure !

the can
Yes your info is helpful! Thanks! All stuff I will consider-

I just rebuilt one. Mine was missing the muffler as well. Yours is an early style muffler, Stihl doesn't stock it anymore and the aftermarket doesn't offer one. I paid more for the used muffler than I did the saw. They had three different size pistons in the 28 (42,44, and 46 mm). I think I read that you can't use the bigger jugs on the early 42mm saws. If I were you I would take a look at the jug and piston and go from there.

Mine was a labor of love. Meaning there is no way I could sell the saw for what I have in it.:envy:

Looking like I will probably sell it as is- let someone else rebuild or use it for parts.

Latest posts

Back