028 Woodboss AV. porting and muffler mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi; Since I joined this site I have read a lot about porting and modifing cylinders etc. A week ago I came across a Stihl 028 woodboss in excellent cosmetic condition and was told the saw had low hours useage. The owners 15 year old son had decided to clean up the saw for his dad and for some reason thought he could remove the flywheel nut by removing the muffler and inserting a 3/8 threaded bolt through the exhaust port over the piston and then twist off the nut in a clockwise turn. Well when it did not come loose he did try in a counter clock twist and got it off only to discover he could not remove the flywheel any way and then replaced and re torqued the nut, removed the bolt and pulled the recoil .
The piston moved a bit then stuck in the bore, more pulling and eventually the pull cord snapped. The son eventually told his dad the saw was running and just stopped dead. They put the saw up for sale to get rid of it and I picked it up for 50. After dismantling I found the damage and the piston crown was squeezed down hard on the right side so tight it split the top ring and in the left side of the exhaust port it dented the piston crown leaving thread marks from the bolt in the piston.
I ordered a new piston and rings,pin and keepers and figured this would be a good candidate to do a mild porting job on. This is my first such undertaking and I only removed 15 thou. off the top and sides of the exhaust port and 10 thou. off the intake bottoms and transfer ports. I made a new 5 thou. gasket and after a light hone and radius job on all openings in the cylinder I cleaned , washed and dried the cylinder. Fitted up and installed the new piston and rings well lubed and reinstalled all parts to get ready for start up. I only bolted on the back portion of the muffler shell and on the first pull the saw started and idled for two minutes before giving it throttle. It stumbled for a split second then responded with an ear splitting roar and has ran excellent since. After installing the two front muffler covers it ran quiter but seems to be suffering from the restrictions of the small exhaust ports in the muffler.
The exhaust port size at the head is now around 26mm wide and 13 mm high, the muffler has a turn down deflector where the exhaust flows down into the plenum first then turns up through a port that is 6mm by 37mm where it reaches the top of the muffler front cover then is returned back downward through a similar sized duct to exit the muffler front. This seems too restrictive and does not allow the saw to breathe. I removed the muffler front covers and the saw comes alive but would wake the dead as my ears are still ringing two hours later. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how much to open up the muffler or is there a better muffler available, a dual port maybee? Pioneerguy600

It is difficult to say exactly but two 1/2” holes will get it close. If you start off with that and just increase the size a little at a time you will find the sweetspot where power is at its peak.

It is difficult to say exactly but two 1/2” holes will get it close. If you start off with that and just increase the size a little at a time you will find the sweetspot where power is at its peak.

Hi Dave; The two 1/2 in holes you mention would be in addition to the 6 by 37 mm port all ready there.?

Yes you need them to get the ported saw to perform. Every saw is a little different but you will need to open up the muffler about 100 percent of the port opening to get it there but they are all different and with a ported saw you may need more. I drill a large hole 1/2" and open it up to about 3/4" then drill small holes until the engine loses just a bit now your just past the peak.

Yes you need them to get the ported saw to perform. Every saw is a little different but you will need to open up the muffler about 100 percent of the port opening to get it there but they are all different and with a ported saw you may need more. I drill a large hole 1/2" and open it up to about 3/4" then drill small holes until the engine loses just a bit now your just past the peak.

Thanks Dave. I will give it a go this afternoon and see how it goes. If I go too far I can just weld a washer with a smaller dia hole over the opening and it makes the job look better even when the max size hole is found.

Thanks Dave. I will give it a go this afternoon and see how it goes. If I go too far I can just weld a washer with a smaller dia hole over the opening and it makes the job look better even when the max size hole is found.

Just an update on the muffler mods on the 028 Wood Boss. After looking the existing muffler over to see where I could place two 1/2" holes there did not seem to be a place to do the additional holes. I started to look around for another muffler and found what I thought was a good candidate on eBay. This muffler had a shield on the front that has a series of holes all across the front but they do not go through to the inside of the muffler plenum so I took and drilled them out leaving the 1 1/2" x1 1/4 spark screen in place inside the muffler, now the muffler has plenty of flow and has really increased the power of this little saw. It is not fully maxed out yet but I will wait until the new piston and rings fully seat and open up a few more holes and continue to richen the carb settings. There is already a noticeable increase of cutting power over the stock muffler and I expect even more in the future. Pioneerguy600

pictures please

Pioneerguy, how about some pics? I want to open up my 028WB muffler but haven't got around to it yet. Sounds like I have the same model with the big flat metal cover over the outlet.

I am not porting my cylinder yet so I will go pretty mild with the new holes.

Nice post Pioneer,

It truely amazes me what people will do too their equiptment! I guess when I was 15yr old I did a few stupid things myself though. :hmm3grin2orange: Good score on the saw and well done getting her up and running better then before. :cheers:

Pioneerguy, how about some pics? I want to open up my 028WB muffler but haven't got around to it yet. Sounds like I have the same model with the big flat metal cover over the outlet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

nice pics Tzed

That's a nice looking mod. Your side porting to the right will keep your left hand cool when you're doing backcuts and stumping. Thanks for posting them.

I feel the exhaust should always exit front and to the right of the operator. Anything up against the log is unpleasant for the operator and a fire hazard.

The mod took a while, but in the end I am very satisfied with it. Had to richen the H screw about an 1/8th turn to get the revs back down.

A link to the original post:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61304

Ted have you thought about removing the brace right in front of the exhaust port? It looks like that would be a pretty significant restriction.

I have purchased a Canon Digital camera and learned how to take pictures with it , I can down load them into my computer and then bring them up on screen. That is where I am waiting for my oldest Daughter to come home and tell me what I have to do to be able to post pictures. I know she can work with me and get me up and running as she is a Bsc. of computer science and has graduated this past fall. Once I get this figured out all the guy`s on the AS site are going to be sorry for a while, LOL , as I will probably flood the threads with too many picts.I have to admit that I really enjoy being on this site and being able to share info and stories with others who have chainsaw addiction LOL . Pioneerguy600

Nice work Tzed, I like the side exit and a nice welding and fitting job, the only restriction I see is a reinforcing rib down the middle of the cylinder exit port that if it were on my saw I would find a way to remove it but it is still a better setup over the stock mufflers that I have come across for this little saw. Pioneerguy600

Well guys, I left that rib there on purpose. The total outlet area out of that box is much larger than the exhaust port, so the restriction is minimal. I wanted the rib to knock the sound down just a hair. The slots were put in there with a .250 end-mill in a Bridgeport, so taking the rib out would have been easy. I wanted to wake up the saw w/o making it obnoxious, and it was a success.

028 mod

Nice looking mod pioneer guy
I have a028 bought in 1987 it died one Saturday .Ran great all day ......Sunday morning could not pull it over . Bearing gone on flywheel side I am rebuilding it I want to copy your mod . What is this .005 shim ( under cylinder head I guess .
P.S. I am looking at 46 MM piston and cylinder from a super .
I know I will have to bore the crankcase ; I have a shop to do this .
Any advise ?
Thanks for this site

Back