028 woodboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About five years ago my brother in law dropped a tree on his 028. He gave it to me and its been in my storage trailer ever since.

I got inspired to work on it last night, it is a 028 av woodboss serial number 212692907. Can anyone tell me the age?
It broke the clutch/sprocket cover and cracked the inner clutch cover. The worst damage is it broke about a two inch square piece off the crankcase. the square the serial number is embossed in.
I received the saw in pieces, does any thing attach to that piece other than the spikes?
I guess I need to get it running then worry about further repairs. I didn't think its was startable until I looked at it last night. It has spark, but emptied half a tank of really aromatic gas out of it so I know it is going to need fuel lines and a carb cleaning at the least.
I saw some crankcases with crankshafts on ebay that were not too expensive. What do I need to watch for if I buy one of those? Mine has a 4 bolt starter, I had read some of them have three.

I had a 028 woodboss and it had the three bolt starter and points ignition. it was early production run with tillison carb. My father-inlaw has an 028 super and it has four bolt starter and electronic ignition. I think there is three different cylinder sizes 028av 028 woodboss and 028 super. They are good running saws.

This is a 028 av woodboss. I can't get picture until tonight. I thought maybe the crank cases would be the same other than the starter bolts. And if that piece did anything other than hold the spikes on
and of course have the serial number on it.. there are a bunch of used crankcases on ebay..

I ordered a 028 super crankcase that still has the crankshaft.
It was cheap, $23.00 shipped and described as excellent condition.
From everything I've read my parts should fit.
Should I go ahead and replace the bearings and seals or see if they are still good? Also, do I need a gasket between the crankcase and cylinder or is the 028 a saw I can gain a little performance by just using a sealant?

You may be trying to do the impossible. Without Pics of both saw remnants it will be hard to judge, and even with Pics it will likely still be hard to judge. I picked at random an 028 Wood Boss from my collection that runs perfectly. Its serial number is 219469316, which I believes makes it a little younger than your beat up version.

wood boss covers all three versions.
028 wb av
028 wb av eq
028 wb av eq s or super
early wb av had a metal gas tank,points and no chain brake and a 42mm cylinder.
av eq had electronic ignition and no points 44mm cylinder,chain brake and plastic tank
av eq super had all the av eq stuff with a 46mm cylinder.

any way it is its a great saw.build it back up.

From working on my 028 projects most everything interchanges. There is a few different muffler styles and clutch differences. I had a very early on with the metal tank and it had some oddities. Mt later plastic tanked ones interchanged nicely. They are good running saws, well worth saving.

Didn't mean for them to be so ginormous.... But then everyone did ask for pictures:) The broke off piece is just laying up there and looks larger than life.

I ordered the 028 super crankcase from ebay, don't have yet. If I thought it would hold I would JB weld the piece back on..
I think the chain brake is bent a little also but looks salvageable.

Haven't got around to cleaning it up yet, its been sitting in a five gallon bucket in a storage trailer in my cattle pen for five years, a rat even built a nest around it, he is now deceased.

I also ordered an elcheapo carburetor off amazon as well as a real walbro carb kit.

Latest posts

Back