028 worm gear oil pump gear question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking around for an answer but nothing has come up. the gears on my 028 melted. I can see on the IPL that there were two different gears for the oil pump. so i ordered one but when I went to put it on, it looks like it is not compatible. it seems like the gear from the IPL (which I bought) threads in somehow but the pump looks like it takes a gear that is pressed on. If anyone knows the part # or can give me some tips that would help alot. I really like this saw and want to put it back together and use it againView attachment 261042View attachment 261043
this is the gear that I bought

soultion

I had one of those brilliant ideas too late; "look at the picture carefully before posting." what is shown on the oil pump is the remainder of the gear that fried. it is splined and so the plastic gear is pressed onto the metal part. so I grabbed some pliers and pulled it off the oil pump shaft and it looks exactly like the part I bought which would not fit. So the point is, look carefully at what you are working on from all angles and be patient.

Cool. Check your clutch drum bearing. If it went bad it may be what got hot enough to melt it.

thanks. I saw this 028 sitting in a mechanics garage and asked him what he was going to do with it. he said, "I'm going to sell it for $25." so I bought it and used it a couple a times. it cut really well then it just died. I took it apart and booth gears had melted. I didnt look at the bearing but that makes perfect sense. something definitely out of kilter

The problem with the 028's is that Stihl made a bunch of different versions of the saw. The older 028's used 2 gears that mesh each other to run the oiler, the newer ones used a single gear that was driven by the clutch drum. Get your serial number off of the saw and try and match it up. Best of luck to ya!

Latest posts

Back