028S build....mystery bolts? hmm...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just did a quick external teardown for inspection and cleaning on my 028Super..

I was using a magnetic tray (awesome simple tool...)

and there may have been a few 'stragglers' that either landed in, or next to the tray that I put in cause, well, things 'stick' to it.

These don't LOOK familiar, (especially the small torx, and the set screw..I would remember taking those out...)

This was being worked on @ the Father IL's house...so fastener 'contamination' may have occurred

But Figure I'd ask others...

from L-R: set screw, flathead screw (looks like this should have a home), and tee-tiny torx.

OH....bar adjuster and cover bolts are for size representation...I know what those are for :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

SUPER clean saw, I can still see ALL the machine marks on the piston...

attachment.php

Here's the completed project:

attachment.php

attachment.php

All 4 handle bolts and AV bolts are there ( black dual thread plastic screws) all 4 muffler bolts, all 3 top cover screws, both coil bolts, both brake handle bolts, all 4 starter housing bolts...

:confused::confused:Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!!

J

Last edited:
The set screw looks almost like it could be a vent insert:dunno:
Could'nt tell ya the othe two:dizzy:
Nice looking saw:cheers:

Again J, nice saw!!! super clean! And the camera man is good at his job!:clap:

The set screw?
The torque?
The flat head looks like what I would use on a 090-070 starter cover?

The set screw looks almost like it could be a vent insert:dunno:
Could'nt tell ya the othe two:dizzy:
Nice looking saw:cheers:

Vent...hmm... I only took off the bare minimum to clean out old dust etc...

covers (clutch, flywheel, tops), air filter, coil, tank assembly & muffler... nothing crazy...

I guess I'm not sure what a vent insert is for???:confused:

Thanks for the compliments....This saw has been one of the MAIN contributors to CAD...:censored: LOL

On one of my saws(older 0 version) it has a stainless steel threaded barb down the tank vent? It works so I am using as is! Some gobs work, some fail!!!

Just make sure all major parts (components) are good and screw it. LOL!

Again J, nice saw!!! super clean! And the camera man is good at his job!:clap:

The set screw?
The torque?
The flat head looks like what I would use on a 090-070 starter cover?

hmm... only hidden thing I can think of, is an AV mount.... I'll check that tomorrow.

OH, I have the original Stihl Bar for this saw as well...orig chain has atleast 50% left on it.

I didn't realize how nice this saw was when I bought it... plastics were a bit faded when I got it, but nothing I couldn't restore... It was a bit dirty, and had some BARN dust on it.. Ran well though.

The set screw looks a little big to fit in the tank vent hose , mine had two . These vent screws we are talking about are just simply jammed in the clear vent hose to keep fuel and debris from leaking by but still allowing a little air through the threads .One of the other ones kinda reminds me of one inside the muffler

The set screw looks a little big to fit in the tank vent hose , mine had two . These vent screws we are talking about are just simply jammed in the clear vent hose to keep fuel and debris from leaking by but still allowing a little air through the threads .One of the other ones kinda reminds me of one inside the muffler

AH...thank you.

in the muffler I think there was only two...to bolt to the cyl...both are there....

hmm...

Thanks guys! keep 'em coming!

J

In post #5, last pic. Tank vent usually goes thru that hole above where the vent line ends. 2 grub screws are normally in the vent tube. I'll take a peek at mine this afternoon to see where those other 2 screws go.

Great looking 028 Super, got a couple and I like them plenty.Yours looks little used any will probably last a lifetime.
As a side note I like those magnetic trays, use them myself but it drives my buddy nuts when I slip in a couple of odd screws into his tray when he has a saw apart. Upon reassembly he is left scratching his head and worrying over what he missed on reassembly, I have seen him tear down a saw to try to find where those screws go. LOL . That will make him a better mechanic in the long run.
Pioneerguy600

Great looking 028 Super, got a couple and I like them plenty.Yours looks little used any will probably last a lifetime.
As a side note I like those magnetic trays, use them myself but it drives my buddy nuts when I slip in a couple of odd screws into his tray when he has a saw apart. Upon reassembly he is left scratching his head and worrying over what he missed on reassembly, I have seen him tear down a saw to try to find where those screws go. LOL . That will make him a better mechanic in the long run.
Pioneerguy600

LOL ? LOG ( lot a glads ) Glad you ain't my buddy ! :eek:)

More pics...

attachment.php

Your "set" screw is probably the vent tube grub screw. Referencing this pic I see your vent tube is missing. Left side of air box floor, see nipple? Vent tube goes there, looped up and through the hole in the airbox on left side vertical surface. The grub screw goes in the end of this tube, and yes, should be two of them.

The flat head pan screw? Did you remove the coil or anything else under the recoil cover? It does look like an older Stihl cover screw.

The self tapping Torx? Looks like it could be the one that holds the black top piece on the rear handle (that secures the trigger & interlock). Screws in from bottom of rear handle. Just a guess.

Will look at one of my 028s..........:dizzy:

I do enjoy adding spare parts when ever there is an opportunity, alot of fun to watch :popcorn:
does your FIL have a good sense of humor? or maybe a BIL stopped by?
BTW nice clean saw

Pioneerguy600

Oh, you're a real joy in the shop!:cry:

I've gotten to the point of putting the bits during a tear down into segregated mini bins according to the assembly position just to limit my later confusion. Sometimes weeks go by while a saw sits in a pile, nothing worse than not remembering where that blasted screw came from..........:censored:

Your "set" screw is probably the vent tube grub screw. Referencing this pic I see your vent tube is missing. Left side of air box floor, see nipple? Vent tube goes there, looped up and through the hole in the airbox on left side vertical surface. The grub screw goes in the end of this tube, and yes, should be two of them.

The flat head pan screw? Did you remove the coil or anything else under the recoil cover? It does look like an older Stihl cover screw.

The self tapping Torx? Looks like it could be the one that holds the black top piece on the rear handle (that secures the trigger & interlock). Screws in from bottom of rear handle. Just a guess.

Will look at one of my 028s..........:dizzy:

AH! there we are... i was wondering what that hole in the (bulkhead) was for....I did find a disintegrated tube in there....thought it may have been a 'leftover' piece from when the fuel line was replaced.

Coil was removed, yes...2 bolts went back in.

there was a flat head screw that holds the top piece on the rear trigger, much shorter too....

THANK YOU....that's a great start..

I do enjoy adding spare parts when ever there is an opportunity, alot of fun to watch :popcorn:
does your FIL have a good sense of humor? or maybe a BIL stopped by?
BTW nice clean saw

He wouldn't do that.... BIL or FIL...yeah, both nightmares...lol

Oh, you're a real joy in the shop!:cry:

I've gotten to the point of putting the bits during a tear down into segregated mini bins according to the assembly position just to limit my later confusion. Sometimes weeks go by while a saw sits in a pile, nothing worse than not remembering where that blasted screw came from..........:censored:

A joy, NO Kidding! :chainsaw::dizzy: that's it...it's been weeks since initial teardown

Stihl manual says one grub screw at top of tank vent line, the other 18 mm (3/4") from the bottom.

Anyone have a picture they could snap?? 18mm! yikes, where?

PIONEERGUY did you pay me a visit? I didn't know you knew where my Father-in-law's house was (down the street from mine...) Do you work for degovinmint?? :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Back