029 Super/Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jetmecanic

jetmecanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Can someone tell me what the differences between these two saws are? I need some parts for a Farm Boss and wonder if they are interchangable. Thanks!!!!!!

stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
super

The only difference is that the original 029 was smaller displacement the the 29 super. Farm Boss is a tag which Stihl has attached to many models of saws. Almost all parts are interchangible. Piston and cylinder excepted.

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
I had some time to kill a few weeks back while waiting for a client. There was a pawn shop down the street so stopped in to kill the time. The had a real nice looking 029 Super. I thought to myself that they woul want $250 for it. I nearly had a stroke when I noticed the $385 price tag on it. I asked the guy behind the counter if he realized a newer version of this saw was currently selling new for $299 at both of the local dealers. He just said the owner sets the prices and he cannot do anything about it. He asked what I would give and I told him $150. I guess he thought I was full of crap because he said there was no way that saw should be sold that cheap. I am sure glad he did not take me up on my offer. I need to run by his shop and see if it is still there. The last two years I have been on vacation I have stopped by a pawn shop that has a 044 that they want $450 for. They have had it for better than 2 years now.

Bill

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Same pawn shop that wanted $385 for the 029 now has a decent "looking" 026 for $250. It really makes no sense. The 029 is gone. It looks like they have a 028 or 038 in the back but they cannot price it yet. When I have some time to kill waiting on people I like the cheap entertainment the pawn shops provide.

Bill

lblac36315

lblac36315

ArboristSite Lurker
Pawn shops & saws?

I was in a pawn shop yesterday, they had an 025 for $250 and an older 056av for $185. Does'nt make sense what people are thinking. 056 is in great shape, 24" rollermatic e w/ 3/8" RS chisel, new bar, chain & rim sprocket. Started on 2nd pull, sounded great, very stout. It now lives in my garage!!

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Hi wmthrower, I just opened the muffler port to approx. 1:1 with the area of the exhaust port, plus I put on a 16" bar and 3/8 square ground chain, for at least a 30% decrease in cutting times.
John

wmthrower

wmthrower

ArboristSite Operative
Gypo, what did you use for a sprocket? Currently I am running a 20" bar and .325 chain because it came from the dealer that way. How difficult was it to modify the muffler? I've never fooled with that stuff. I know that the stock muffler sounds a lot different than our older stihls.

ricksvar

ricksvar

ArboristSite Operative
Yep Huskyman those Stihl boat anchors are expensive.It says a lot about resale valu of the saws,having good demand.Lets face it,some folks use them to cut wood...ha...ha...ha...

I think I'am turning into a bourbon drinking flower child....I get more satisfaction planting flowers then cutting wood with my MS290:D

Rick

mikecross23

mikecross23

ArboristSite Guru
I have a modified muffler on my MS-290 opened up by Walkers. The saw was already broken in prior to me putting on the new muffler and I still noticed a substantial amount of power gain, or maybe just more noise.:rolleyes: No, it really does seem more powerful, however it would make a good boat anchor. I want to put a 16" bar on it b/c the 20" that it came w/ is too much. Less weight, little more power, that's what I'm talkin' about!:D

-Mike-

mikecross23

mikecross23

ArboristSite Guru
Originally posted by wmthrower
Mine came with a 20" bar on it too. I will probably keep mine on it until the bar wears out and then put a 16" or so on it.

My 20" bar is all but done in so it's time for me to replace the bar, chain, and sprocket. This thread was good timing as a reminder to do just that. My 029 is freakin' loud. It makes my ears ring if I don't wear my hearing protection. I opened up the muffler on my newly aquired MS-460 and it isn't nearly as loud as my MS-290. Maybe I didn't open the 46 up enough? Dern rookie.:rolleyes:

-Mike-

ranger

ranger

ArboristSite Member
loud saw

Mike

Funny that you say that, my 365 husky is very loud now that I have the muffler opened up. When I did the same to my 395 the noise level did not change much at all. Wonder why that is?

Matt

Latest posts