029 Super/Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmecanic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the differences between these two saws are? I need some parts for a Farm Boss and wonder if they are interchangable. Thanks!!!!!!

super

The only difference is that the original 029 was smaller displacement the the 29 super. Farm Boss is a tag which Stihl has attached to many models of saws. Almost all parts are interchangible. Piston and cylinder excepted.

I had some time to kill a few weeks back while waiting for a client. There was a pawn shop down the street so stopped in to kill the time. The had a real nice looking 029 Super. I thought to myself that they woul want $250 for it. I nearly had a stroke when I noticed the $385 price tag on it. I asked the guy behind the counter if he realized a newer version of this saw was currently selling new for $299 at both of the local dealers. He just said the owner sets the prices and he cannot do anything about it. He asked what I would give and I told him $150. I guess he thought I was full of crap because he said there was no way that saw should be sold that cheap. I am sure glad he did not take me up on my offer. I need to run by his shop and see if it is still there. The last two years I have been on vacation I have stopped by a pawn shop that has a 044 that they want $450 for. They have had it for better than 2 years now.

Bill

Here is an 029 I tuned for a friend in Wash., with a 16" bar and square chain it out cut several 044's and 036's, owned by rock mechanics.
John

Same pawn shop that wanted $385 for the 029 now has a decent "looking" 026 for $250. It really makes no sense. The 029 is gone. It looks like they have a 028 or 038 in the back but they cannot price it yet. When I have some time to kill waiting on people I like the cheap entertainment the pawn shops provide.

Bill

Pawn shops & saws?

I was in a pawn shop yesterday, they had an 025 for $250 and an older 056av for $185. Does'nt make sense what people are thinking. 056 is in great shape, 24" rollermatic e w/ 3/8" RS chisel, new bar, chain & rim sprocket. Started on 2nd pull, sounded great, very stout. It now lives in my garage!!

Hi wmthrower, I just opened the muffler port to approx. 1:1 with the area of the exhaust port, plus I put on a 16" bar and 3/8 square ground chain, for at least a 30% decrease in cutting times.
John

Gypo, what did you use for a sprocket? Currently I am running a 20" bar and .325 chain because it came from the dealer that way. How difficult was it to modify the muffler? I've never fooled with that stuff. I know that the stock muffler sounds a lot different than our older stihls.

Yep Huskyman those Stihl boat anchors are expensive.It says a lot about resale valu of the saws,having good demand.Lets face it,some folks use them to cut wood...ha...ha...ha...

I think I'am turning into a bourbon drinking flower child....I get more satisfaction planting flowers then cutting wood with my MS290:D

Rick

I have a modified muffler on my MS-290 opened up by Walkers. The saw was already broken in prior to me putting on the new muffler and I still noticed a substantial amount of power gain, or maybe just more noise.:rolleyes: No, it really does seem more powerful, however it would make a good boat anchor. I want to put a 16" bar on it b/c the 20" that it came w/ is too much. Less weight, little more power, that's what I'm talkin' about!:D

-Mike-

Mine came with a 20" bar on it too. I will probably keep mine on it until the bar wears out and then put a 16" or so on it.

Originally posted by wmthrower
Mine came with a 20" bar on it too. I will probably keep mine on it until the bar wears out and then put a 16" or so on it.

My 20" bar is all but done in so it's time for me to replace the bar, chain, and sprocket. This thread was good timing as a reminder to do just that. My 029 is freakin' loud. It makes my ears ring if I don't wear my hearing protection. I opened up the muffler on my newly aquired MS-460 and it isn't nearly as loud as my MS-290. Maybe I didn't open the 46 up enough? Dern rookie.:rolleyes:

-Mike-

loud saw

Mike

Funny that you say that, my 365 husky is very loud now that I have the muffler opened up. When I did the same to my 395 the noise level did not change much at all. Wonder why that is?

Matt

Back