031 Stihl question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reworking a 031 and having problems getting it to fire right. Using a neon bulb fire tester, so you can see if it is not firring all the time. First step was to clean and reset points that helped some but still not firring all the time. Next step, replaced points and condenser with electronic module, still not firring all the time. Ignition module has been cleaned and set with business card. I have used three different plugs with the same results. Carb. has been rebuilt, compression is 110 #s. I know that the compression is border line, but I have had 031's to run fine with 110 #s compression. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

sugarbush

sugarbush

ArboristSite Guru
Reworking a 031 and having problems getting it to fire right. Using a neon bulb fire tester, so you can see if it is not firring all the time. First step was to clean and reset points that helped some but still not firring all the time. Next step, replaced points and condenser with electronic module, still not firring all the time. Ignition module has been cleaned and set with business card. I have used three different plugs with the same results. Carb. has been rebuilt, compression is 110 #s. I know that the compression is border line, but I have had 031's to run fine with 110 #s compression. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

if that's an accurate compression reading, that's to low. it start's to get suspect at 130#. not unusual for the spark to look erratic when hand cranking. what type of module did you use?

tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks, billyjoejr I got the PM and down loaded the manual. About the switch, I haven't checked, but the thought crossed my mine that it might be a bad connection. I will check that out. About the compression, I know that 110 #'s is border line at best, but I had a 031 earlier with 110 #'s and it worked fine. This saw has some spray out the carb., but it will crank on the first pull if you have the throttle trigger set. I like the neon bulb tester because if there is a skip in the firing you will be able to see it and there is still a skip. Thanks for the help. Tom P.S. It was a used Stihl module.

Last edited:
tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remember reading about changing the fly wheel, but I do not remember how many degrees. I did a search and could not find it. I also may have an electronic fly wheel. Tom