031av vs. 455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My $0.02 cents worth.

There might be a 455 rancher out there that might beat an 031 , maybe you should have asked a couple questions why it was labeled junk? Low Compression? Plugged Ex-screen? Can you see the electrode to the plug?

I would take a good used 031 anywhere with me, you can keep your 455 Ranchers, just not my idea of fun.

The 031 was built for years of service, the Rancher is built to sell in box-stores.

I'm mostly a stihl guy. But i have mostly huskys, go figure? But the 031 was from the 70's. 038, 034, and so on are old saws too, and there are a lot of them still original and still going strong. I can't say i've witnessed many old huskys still goin on. MAybe its just me.

I just go an 031ave running,muffler had baffle loose rolling around inside. I sliced muff open pulled out baffle and welded back shut(not pretty). The thing is really LOUD now. Havent put it to the wood yet though.:biggrinbounce2:

Im not talkin about boggin the piss out of it. I mean not just holdin it and lettin it pull. A little down pressure don't hurt. The av springs are pretty stout. You'd have to be pretty mean to them to break them. How would it affect crank bearings?

gotta saw, I lean - as in, put some pressure on. Not too much though, just what feels right. I reckon that's how some of the bigger, older torquey saws were meant to be used (076, 041, 038 etc.). Besides, if you shouldn't lean why do spikes exist (from factory)? I've heard heaps of pros saying they use them. In fact, this is prolly opening up a can of worms...

Back