032 points

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trever

GB mill 076 Super Stihl
Reaction score
I can not get my points to open much when trying to set them. I pressed the inner part of an old flywheel out for the setting tool. I loosened the points mounting screws, and installed my "new" old tool. I rotated the crank counterclockwise to TDC without the plug installed, and then the points barely opened. What am I doing wrong? Could I have a bad tool or a worn out crank shaft? Does the lobe wear Thanks for any and all help. Have a blessed evening.:)

cant you adjust the points out? i highly doubt the flywheel would wear. the plastic riding it would be the sacrificial material if anything.

mine needed set at .015 and the flywheel marks lined up just right when the points open. cant you adjust though the flywheel holes?

My flywheel does not have the plastic holes and the starter prawls. Mine is solid with the recoil engaging the center of the flywheel, not by two prawls. I wish it did have the other type like yours. I had to buy another flywheel. I bought the saw knowing that it did not have spark. I replaced the points with a used set that supposedly came off a working saw. I replaced the condensor with a new one. The flywheel came off a supposedly working saw also; this is the one that I will use for the saw. The other flywheel is what I used to make the setting tool. I pressed the center section out. The Stihl manual says to set the points gap at either .032 or.32 I can't recall without looking at the manual. I tried for this, but I could not get the points to open that far. Thank you for help. Any suggestions?:)

well if you disconnect the wires so that the wire side of the points is not connected to anything you can set your points by positioning. i did this by unbolting my coil and condenser so they couldn't ground. you will have to hook up a ohm meter or test light and the points should open right when the mark on the fly wheel lines up with the mark on the housing. then the test light will go out or ohm meter will read open right at that position.

if you just set the flywheel on you can tweek this until it is right then tighten things up.

this might be off if the flywheel you have is not for a points system, not sure on that though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back