034 stihl help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polkat

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
looking for further guidance on 034 thats throwing me fits. what it's doing is shutting down coming out of a cut it wont idle really well but the shutting down is the concern. i am about to press test the crank case but if there is something in the carb that i overlooked please let me know your thoughts. it is a zama carb

thank you in advance

I have a similar issue with my 034. I pulled the muffler cover and I have a slightly scored piston. I'm sure mine could use a card rebuild and new lines etc. but the piston is probably the main issue.

I would check that first. If you already did not sure what to check next. I'm subscribing because I need all the help I can get lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Starting with a simple question.... Do either of you maintain a properly adjusted carb?

Definitely sounds like you're both lean. Now to find out why....

Mine was way lean when I got it. I richened it and it runs decent. I had to richen the low alot to get it to idle as in almost two turns out.

Yeah a carb that lean no doubt led to smoking the piston. You may have an air leak somewhere though that is adding to the lean condition.

2 turns out sounds like a problem.
What I would do in both cases, if you haven't yet, empty the fuel tanks into a clear jar and examine it for spoilage, foriegn matter in it, or lack of oil. Next check the fuel line and pick up condition, if any of that is questionable, replace it and try running the saws again and I would add a dash of seafoam at this point. If your carb is gummed up a bit often over night or less the seafoam will dissolve it. Not saying that will solve the problems but its the best to rule out the easy checks before proceeding to more complicated and expensive procedures and often enough it will solve what sounds like a lean condition . Still not going I'd proceed to open up the carb and have a look, clean and replace anything questionable in it. Next the impulse line to see if it leaks. Could try the pressure test about now if you haven't found the problem. I'd also check my cylinder bolts were tight and if you have access to a known good carb you can try it .

I have a similar issue with my 034. I pulled the muffler cover and I have a slightly scored piston. I'm sure mine could use a card rebuild and new lines etc. but the piston is probably the main issue.

I would check that first. If you already did not sure what to check next. I'm subscribing because I need all the help I can get lol.

Pulling that cover is the first step I do on a saw acting up like this one does, its fast and easy to do and the results tell me a whole lot about the actual condition of the powerhead.

I had pulled the cover off of the muffler its clean, I suspect there could be a leak as its way rich to idle/ and on the high. I was looking to see if there were know issues with the zama carb that a standard carb rebuild wouldn't fix ..

Back