036 Full rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honda12967

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a stihl 036 from a guy at work, the saw was scored on the exhuast side. I get a new piston and cylinder, crank bearings, seals, all gaskets. I split the cases, sand blasted the cases and sporket cover to get ready for paint. I'm wondering what you guys use for stihl paint, i work at a stihl dealer but i dont want to have to wait for the paint to come in. I'm getting to excited to see this build go back together, What color grey do you guys use. My goal is to have this saw looking like its just out of the box, and i want it to cut better and faster than my buddies big bore 361 that i built for him. any tips or advice would be greatly appreacited.

The problem with rattle can paint is that gasoline will eat it right off a saw. Even if you bake it on the gas will eventually soften it and it disintergrates quickly. The best paint I have found is to use automotive 2 part urethane paint over either epoxy primer or etch primer.
Pioneerguy600

would i be better getting it powder coated, or trying to powder coat it my self. im new to the paint haha

Any clue what the name of the color is or is it best to have someone color match it.

Go with color match, there are a few different paints that come close but if you go powder coat then it will need to be matched. Stihl has the grey rattle can paint and I believe some have used Ford Tractor Grey.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back