036 Piston wear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought this 036 on ebay that allegedly had a reasonably new Cylinder and Piston. When I got it the compression was bad, air filter gone, and it would not start. I removed the muffler and found that the piston was scoured. So I went ahead and took off the cylinder. I found that the bottom of the piston was very very thin. Could he really have worn it this much in having used it twice?
After I complained he says he used it about twenty hours. Could the piston really wear that fast or...

Item page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190131917648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

In twenty hours? Well I have never seen that much wear in two thousand hours. Maybe since it didn't have an air filter, if he fed it a steady diet of sand for twenty hours.

aftermarket handle bar... dirty...i'd say it has been rode hard and put up wet?

that saw is nasty...lots of grime sawdust and oil, that saw has seen some use.

that piston should never wear like that....regardless of how much use it has

Yeah that saw has definately seen some use. If you plan on keeping it I would strip the saw down to the crankcase and start building it from the bottom up. If your lucky, you may be able to get some money back via a paypal dispute. Another option would be to just part it out (whatever good parts there is) on ebay which will probably recoup most of your money.

wtf

that seller screwed you. if you let us ebay freaks know the user id we will take matters into are own hands. if this guy sold you that mess it is worth gettin yur money back. that saw aint worth 50.0 bucks:hmm3grin2orange:
just my beer monies worth
cheers mate

You got hosed on that one, given the description of a running saw, the seller falsly advertised the item. If the piston is that screwed up the case bearings are probably shot also and the saw needs a total overhaul. Might be best to get a refund and start over. Or get some $$$ back and part out the saw. Stihl usually brings in more when sold as parts anyhow.

You got hosed on that one, given the description of a running saw, the seller falsly advertised the item. If the piston is that screwed up the case bearings are probably shot also and the saw needs a total overhaul. Might be best to get a refund and start over. Or get some $$$ back and part out the saw. Stihl usually brings in more when sold as parts anyhow.

+1. the seller stated new piston and ring, not cylinder though.
this saw has seen a lot of abuse and ain't worth rebuilding imo, unless you have too much money on your hands. This saw should have been presented as a parts saw only imo, and not as "running fine" Try go get a refund asap.

+1. the seller stated new piston and ring, not cylinder though..

When I complained at first he sent me:
The piston, ring and jug are about a year old with maybe 20 hrs on it. I used the saw the week befor I put it on ebay. It started and ran fine just would stall when you were not giving it gas. Nothing happened on my end.

Last edited:
The piston may be new to the saw, but it came out of the scrap pile. This isn't good. Don't do anything else with the saw until you get a resolution. This thing was beat on, and the guy either has credibility problems, or he has no idea of how to use a saw...or both.

Belgian has a point. The bottom end is probably trashed. I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. I'd try to get some money out of him, even if it was $40 or 50 bucks. Then bcorradi has the right idea. Part it out. Between the body work, recoil, clutch, oil pump, gas tank, carb, etc, you should come out okay.

Mark

old saw has the right idea,that saw is way past a top end replacement,try to get a refund first,if that doesn't work get some money back from the seller"maybe" and part out the saw.
if a stihl saw is in running condition,they can be sold locally very easy,they hold there value,I think ebay is used when someone has a dogged out saw they need to dump.

If things dont turn out good let me know, I would buy it if the price is right. Sorry about your bad luck, that saw is trashed. I have an 034 I could use some of the parts on.

beat up saw... Quick fix

If it had a lot of value, i would say fix it right, but it's in pretty rough shape. I have seen plenty of 036 pistons out there for cheap. Are you able to clean up the cylinder? Is it just transfer, or is the wall absolutely toast?

Did you have any luck through Ebay with the seller? Sonce you have re-posted I will guess that is a "No". I guess the bigger question is, are there pieces of metal in the bottom end? Your seals might be bad (leaned out condition), or maybe it was straight gassed and you could walk away in pretty good shape.

Since you still have it, and are in the hole quite a bit, I say, cheap replacement, and run it till it actually bursts into a big ball of magnesium fire. That may be a little extreme, but it's a beat up saw, keep it cheap...

Good Luck,
Jason

or the alternative is to put it back on Ebay. Give it a clean and make it look presentable. Take some good pics and give it a colorful description. Don't flat out lie.

Someone will buy it and you will get most of your money back. Not so good for the Karma though.

or the alternative is to put it back on Ebay. Give it a clean and make it look presentable. Take some good pics and give it a colorful description. Don't flat out lie.

Someone will buy it and you will get most of your money back. Not so good for the Karma though.

Man, that aint right, unless you post it as a parts saw.

036 stihl

myself I would try to fix it. the price you gave is with in what parts saws bring anyway. you can pick up a piston,pin and rings for under 35.00. you can get a 026 gasket and seal kit for 10.00, the crank seals fit the 036. this is providing the crank and bearings are allright. A little cleaning and paint work would do wonders for the looks dept. good luck Rick!

The filth on that saw should have been clue one. The perspective and orientation of the pictures should have been clue two.

The filth on that saw should have been clue one. The perspective and orientation of the pictures should have been clue two.

Yes! And the fact that the muffler cap only had 1 screw holding it on. I bet he checked the piston prior to the sale :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back