036 pro Craigslist find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyBoy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a 036 pro on Craigslist for 150$ sounds to good to be true. What should I be looking for as in known problems? I think I'm going to try and get a look at it tomorrow if the wife gives me the green light

Hmm, I got my 036 Pro with a nice running Poulan 3400 for less than that. But then again, I am frugal. Good luck on your purchase.

Around the NE states, it's almost impossible to find that saw for under $300. Craigslist ads are consistently overpriced to holy hell, well above even $300. I too would be skeptical of $150, as everyone listing a Stihl (around here) whole-heartedly believes it's either gilded in gold leaf or was once contained within, or travelling with, the Ark of the fricken Covenant.

Give it a good once over. There are a bunch of threads on here that contain best-practice for buying used saws.

A very nice 036 will go for $250-$350 here. You will hear about guys who get screaming deals, and it does happen, just not that often.

I would look at the external condition first. Has it been abused? Lots of paint loss, cracks in the plastic, etc. Does it look like they dragged it behind their truck? I have saws that I have used for years, so I know what a saw looks like that has mileage on it, but has been cared for.

Personally, I'd stay away from professionally used saws, as these are usually sold when they are close to dead. Ask the seller about the saw's history? What kind of mix did he use? Did he drain the saw when not in use? What kind of bar oil does he like? If he has some fair knowledge about saws, that's a good sign.

I would rather pay a little more for a saw that I have more confidence in, than get a total steal on a questionable saw. Since I have only mediocre tech skills and limited time to spend on wrenching (unfortunately), I will usually stay away from saws that need extensive work, even if they are super cheap.

As mentioned do some searching here on saw buying tips, and check out craigslist a few times a week to get a read on your local market.

Good luck, and post pics when you find a saw.

That is what I gave a co-worker for mine :D. He sais it was just too much for him with his recent back problems. The muffler on mine is just an empty can, take a t27 wrench and pull the front of the muffler off to take a look at the piston and cylinder.

It is worth going to check out. Sadly, by posting it here you have "outed" the deal and other AS members are probably already in a drag race to get over there and get it. Even if it needs some work, you can still probably be in it for under $300. At that price you could get your money back without much effort. I would caution that if the fuel tank is wrecked you may want to consider your options. Stihl only sells the replacement tank with flippy caps. Screw-cap tanks are getting quite hard to find in good shape. If you go with a flippy tank, your caps will not match which is an issue to some (including me.)

Back