038 Mag and WHAT other saw...????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langkg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
long time lurker - few posts but wanted to throw this one out to you regulars.

I have a 038 Mag that I bought brand new in 1986 or 1987. I've run the piss out of this saw over the years and LOVE it. I'm not a professional but the saw gets plenty of use. We typically burn 6-8 face cords a year and I cut wood for others. I rebuilt the carb on the saw several years ago and I've gone through some bars and so forth but she just keeps going and going and going. The saw is approaching 30 years old (it hurts my head to think about this!) and I'm afraid it will outlast me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I KNOW it will outlast me...lol I'm in good shape though and cutting wood is my exercise. The saw has a 20" bar and it's just a great saw but maybe not the lightest thing in the world after you throw it around for a few hours.

So a few years ago I decided I should get a lighter "limbing" saw that I could combine with the trusty 038 Mag. At the time I was thinking about a MS362 but it turned into a Christmas gift and the wife got me a MS290. She got it with a 20" bar and it had the green chain on it. I started looking at specs and it was all of a pound or two lighter than the 038 Mag so I was concerned. I took it to the dealer she bought it from and had them put yellow chain on it and an 18" bar to try to cut a "little" weight. Frankly it's not a whole lot lighter than my big saw so I'm not sure why I bothered with it but I own it. It spools up a lot faster than the big saw which is nice for limbing. The saw has NO balllllzzzzz. I'm thinking the aggressive chain doesn't help...lol. Maybe I'm just used to a lot of torque as the chain will very rarely stall on the 038 Mag. This poor MS290 is a bit of a sissy especially considering it's not that much lighter than my big saw.

SOooo, I ask you all. I'm never giving up the 038 Mag and I do like having TWO saws now (actually I have a little 011 top handle but it gets used rarely). If I dump the MS290 I'm not sure what would fit the bill. I want light, fast and something with at least a bit of azz behind it. I know guys say the MS440 is the newer equiv of the 038 Mag but I'm never parting with it. I don't need a "replacement". I just want something fast and light that has some power that will compliment my old, big saw.

Thx...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A ported ms 261 with a 18 in bar unreal saw Pick a good saw porter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is a ported saw for reliability? Any idea on the weight of a MS 261 / 18" bar? How does one go about finding a "good saw porter"? I know there are a lot of guys that like to make hot saws but I don't know anybody. I love the idea of light and fast with some grunt but I also want a saw that will start when I need it to when I need it whether it's 5 degrees F or 85 degrees F.

Spendy, but my ms 200T always gets taken along when cutting. It works great for bucking up small firewood cause you can hold with one hand and cut with the other. And if I was a bettin man I'd say my modded 200T would keep up with that ms 290 with 16" bars

Maybe I should ask the question another way. I'm intrigued by a ported saw but..... If somebody held a gun to your head and said "buy a new/used saw" and you had my criteria - what would you get? Every time I pull out the 038 Mag I just wonder why I bother with the MS290. Hurst my heart to think that way but I guess I just picked a real winner of a saw almost 30 years ago! The saw is thirsty. Yes. Does it puke a lot of exhaust when you're hogging through big rounds? Yes. Would I like it a little lighter and faster spooling? Yes. Do I care....well, not so much but I think in 30 years of technological advancement in chainsaws...there MUST be a saw out there that fits the gap. The MS290 isn't it.

If u wanna try husky a 562 xp ported would make u smile every time you cut with it

If u wanna try husky a 562 xp ported would make u smile every time you cut with it

I'm sure that saw is fast as hell. My buddy has a Husky (stock). Don't remember if it's a 562 though - I'm thinking it's a 462.? I'll have to ask him. What I can say though as even as much of an antique as my 038 Mag is it is heads and toes better from a vibration standpoint. His saw is a real race horse though compared to mine. Well, until you sink it into 20+ inches of oak then there is no comparison. The Stihl will devour that Husky along with the wood. His saw is probably faster and more nimble for limbing but the vibration is a big downer for me. Sort of unrefined in my opinion.

I'm sure that saw is fast as hell. My buddy has a Husky (stock). Don't remember if it's a 562 though - I'm thinking it's a 462.? I'll have to ask him. What I can say though as even as much of an antique as my 038 Mag is it is heads and toes better from a vibration standpoint. His saw is a real race horse though compared to mine. Well, until you sink it into 20+ inches of oak then there is no comparison. The Stihl will devour that Husky along with the wood. His saw is probably faster and more nimble for limbing but the vibration is a big downer for me. Sort of unrefined in my opinion.
I have never ran a 562, but they are suppose to have the very best av

I got a ported 038 mag ll and the 562 xp ported is by far is smoother and faster

If you want 038 reliability go with a 026.Light and plenty of power.New? Cheap? go with an Echo cs590 or 600.Not exactly light but has Balls and reliability.do a search there are some guys having fun with them.So far so good with my cs600.With just a Muffler mod,Base Gasket Delete and 8 pin drive rim I'm having a blast working it.When it hits the truck my Mac pm700,stihl ms360 and others hit the back seat.Believe me I love my PM700 and was actually using the MS360 as a test mule for parts but......
I guarantee that an echo 600 will whip an ms290-390. Amongst others I won't mention...........

Muff modded 346xp is a cracking little saw, if you work on hills though it'll need a kick stand as the bloody thing won't stay upright even on the flat. Never thought I'd have to chase a saw downhill...

Mastermind 261oe or cm are also brilliant, not as light and nimble as a 346 but in many ways better unless you just need a limbing saw

Langkg, 2 things: 1) Your 038M is 72cc's IIRC, and your 029/290 is 56cc's. Pretty big difference as far as saws go. One is classified in the "70cc" class and the other in the "50cc" class. Many on here woud say a 70cc and 50cc is a good combo. 2) The 029/290 muffler's are very restricted. Many threads on here about opening them up. Anyone with basic mechanical skills, a drill and some bits can do it in 20-60 minutes. With that itwould require removing the limiter caps on the carb mixture screws in order to tune it afterwards. No biggie there, a drywall screw, a pair of pliers and 15 minutes (including tuning). I would certainly open that muffler up and retune, then try your 290. Granted, it won't do anything weight wise, but you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was when I did mine and it broke in; a completely different animal now! 290's always get a bad rap on here but they can be a good saw.

Duane

I'm pretty happy with the "little" 026 I built for my brother... enough I'm tempted to keep it haha.

I have a few 360s/036s for small saws and a pair of 460s for bigger stuff. All run 18" bars, though I do gave longer bars in needed.

A 290 isn't bad though the antivibe isn't too good. When I was hand cutting firewood with one a few years I remember my hands buzzing hours after shutting down and some mornings I could barely hold my toothbrush or cereal spoon.
That all went away when I bought a 460.

Now cutting 2-3 cords a year... you probably won't have an issue. I was running that 290 6-8+ hrs a day 7 days a week.

I'd say a good used 026/260 would suit you perfectly. New, there's that 241 that's smaller and apparently keeps up with a stock 026.

Then there's the old 028 super, but it weighs a pound or two more than an 026. More metal in all the right places though.

You're smart keeping that 038mag. Like the big brother of an 028. Bigger bearings etc... I don't hear of many broken bottom ends at all.

Your 029 needs the muff mod. My 039 (~10cc bigger) with a mod used to keep up with my buddies 038MAG in smaller wood after a muff mod. But that doesn't solve the weight issue for you. As it's a gift from Wifey, I bet it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'd say a good used 026/260 would suit you perfectly. New, there's that 241 that's smaller and apparently keeps up with a stock 026.

Then there's the old 028 super, but it weighs a pound or two more than an 026. More metal in all the right places though.

You're smart keeping that 038mag. Like the big brother of an 028. Bigger bearings etc... I don't hear of many broken bottom ends at all.

Your 029 needs the muff mod. My 039 (~10cc bigger) with a mod used to keep up with my buddies 038MAG in smaller wood after a muff mod. But that doesn't solve the weight issue for you. As it's a gift from Wifey, I bet it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Great summary of Stihl options (026/260/261 @500cc) Also, a lot of people love the Husky 346/550/555 or Jred equivalents.
If you value a high power to weight ratio and long-term reliability stick with the magnesium case ("pro") models.

I started the same as you.
I have an 038M that I bought new and for a long time, was my only saw.
A few years ago, I picked up an MS261 as a second saw for smaller stuff. I like the 261 but after using the 038 for so long,
always felt like I wanted more. There's nothing wrong with the 261, it's a great saw. I was just used to the torque of the 038.
Last year I got a Husq 562. It's now the saw I almost always grab first. It doesn't have the grunt of the 038M but has enough that it doesn't feel underpowered. It's also two lbs lighter than the 038 and only one lb heavier than the 261.
I looked at an MS362 before I got the 562. The 562 felt better in my hands and was a little lighter.
If. I could only have one saw, it would be a 562.

Back