038 Mag and WHAT other saw...????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go run a McCulloch TimberBear for a day, it'll help you gain an appreciation for the MS 290........LOL!

You can "flip" the 290, and put the money towards any of the new Pro saws mentioned previously. However, it was a gift from your wife, it's paid for, and you have nothing to lose by doing a muffler mod on it. If it still doesn't work for you, post muffler mod then sell it, and find a Pro saw that appeals to you.
I also have the larger MS 390, and it was definitely a night, and day difference after a muffler mod, and some mild reshaping of the ports.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-ms390.178738/

Thanks for all the replys and input guys. This is a great site. I guess that 0ld 038 Mag is like a favorite pair of blue jeans and when you get so used to it nothing else seems to fit right...lol I'll have to look at doing the mod on the 290 Iguess. I suppose if I wasn't happy with that I'm only out a replacement muffler right? (assumig no port work - just the muff mod)

Thanks for all the replys and input guys. This is a great site. I guess that 0ld 038 Mag is like a favorite pair of blue jeans and when you get so used to it nothing else seems to fit right...lol I'll have to look at doing the mod on the 290 Iguess. I suppose if I wasn't happy with that I'm only out a replacement muffler right? (assumig no port work - just the muff mod)

Exactly!

Port work on a clamshell design is minimal, as compared to a Pro Saw due to limited access Though I will say, my MS 390 cuts way bigger after Randy Evans efforts.

I'd say a good used 026/260 would suit you perfectly. New, there's that 241 that's smaller and apparently keeps up with a stock 026.

Then there's the old 028 super, but it weighs a pound or two more than an 026. More metal in all the right places though.

You're smart keeping that 038mag. Like the big brother of an 028. Bigger bearings etc... I don't hear of many broken bottom ends at all.

Your 029 needs the muff mod. My 039 (~10cc bigger) with a mod used to keep up with my buddies 038MAG in smaller wood after a muff mod. But that doesn't solve the weight issue for you. As it's a gift from Wifey, I bet it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I like keeping the 038, MM'ing the MS290 and picking up an MS 241. Or' you could buy this nice Echo and save a lot of money.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-cs370.279353/

Sounds like you feel about your 038 like I feel about my 044 (new in Dec 92). I went with a 362 C-M and am very happy with it. Not a lot lighter, but you really notice the difference at the end of the day, and you don't give up much performance, except on larger wood (over 18" hardwood). The 362 is fast & smooth, and a little lighter. The 562 is not lighter than the 362 (ck actual wts posted) and I like that I can use any B&C on any of my saws (the husky uses a different bar).

I've also run ported 261s at GTGs, and they are very nice (for their size), and I hear good things about the 241, but have never run one.

Good luck with your choice.

Oh, oh, oh!!!! Please buy that Echo before I have to. I don't even need it, but, that's such a sweet deal.

For real. I think you just can't go wrong with opening the muffler on the 290. It really is a decent saw and should last you a long time.

I bort my 038 new and have never looked back never been serviced it has had 2 spark plugs and 3 bars since new and the thing still catch my fingers when i go to start it some times because of the compression the saw has. I do have to put it in for its first service due to the carb needs a new kit so ill get the machanic to check the saw right out.

I bort my 038 new and have never looked back never been serviced it has had 2 spark plugs and 3 bars since new and the thing still catch my fingers when i go to start it some times because of the compression the saw has. I do have to put it in for its first service due to the carb needs a new kit so ill get the machanic to check the saw right out.

I hear ya on that. There are lots of saws bigger than an 038M but I've never run them. I can imagine some of them are pretty stiff to start. All I know is I always put my foot in the handle of my saw when starting it cold! I learned a long time ago to slowly roll the engine over till I feel compression and THEN give her a yank...lol

There used to be a guy on eBay that sold ported mufflers for the 038M. Had some sort of tube welded in it if I remember right but that was quite some time ago when I saw that. I don't think I'd want to mod the 038 though. Now the 290.....that thing just begs for something...anything!..lol Leaning toward the muff mod for it.

Back