038 Mag II... Should I sell it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 038 Mag II that is just an amazing running saw. It oils great, and has a lot of torque.

I just got a 440 a few days ago, but I haven't gotten the chance to run it yet. Just haven't had any jobs.. Plus it still needs a little work. Going to put a dual port on the muffler, and add a max flow air filter...

My question is simple. Will the 440 out preform the 038? I know it's lighter, and it sounds like it has higher RPMs, and it seems to rev faster... However the 038 just sounds really aggressive. Slightly slower to rev, but it has a little something...

Also I have a stock 066 that is just a littler heavier than the 038, but I'm pretty sure that it would rock it in a show down... Just haven't gotten the chance to really run that one yet either. I just know that I don't need 3 muscle saws... And the 038 seems like it should be the first to go.

Any suggestions or personal thoughts?

I have an 038 Mag II that is just an amazing running saw. It oils great, and has a lot of torque.

I just got a 440 a few days ago, but I haven't gotten the chance to run it yet. Just haven't had any jobs.. Plus it still needs a little work. Going to put a dual port on the muffler, and add a max flow air filter...

My question is simple. Will the 440 out preform the 038? I know it's lighter, and it sounds like it has higher RPMs, and it seems to rev faster... However the 038 just sounds really aggressive. Slightly slower to rev, but it has a little something...

Also I have a stock 066 that is just a littler heavier than the 038, but I'm pretty sure that it would rock it in a show down... Just haven't gotten the chance to really run that one yet either. I just know that I don't need 3 muscle saws... And the 038 seems like it should be the first to go.

Any suggestions or personal thoughts?

Anything with a "0" as the first number in the Stihl line of chainsaws is worth keeping.

You have the ultimate 3 saw ground setup for the "big stuff" on our East Coast .................. Large 066 for the good size ones, and 2 saw plan for the rest. (obviousely a smaller limbing saw could help out when the 70+cc aint needed)
If you had (4) 70+ cc saws, then I might suggest you "think" about selling one, but you have a very sought after wish list of saws.

ps- I have an 038m and an 044 (both ported) as my "big stuff" ground (2 saw) plan for now ........... I do need an 066 and have been looking.

I would never sell an 038. How much storage room is it taking up? I mean really? When the time comes to part with your assets you won't be needing us to hold your hand or give permission. It will be a necessity and there will be no doubt. You're not there yet! .02

Back