038AV missing chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68coupe

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Stihl 038AV Electronic that is missing the chain brake parts. During my research, it seems that some of these saws came without the chain brake assembly. I purchased a kit from eBay that is supposed to have the required parts, at least that's what the seller told me. I can't seem to find any instructions or diagrams that will help me install this kit. Any help would be appreciated.DSCN4653.JPG s-l1600.jpg DSCN4653.JPG s-l1600.jpg

You will have a long way to go.
Here is the ipl out of the mediacat. You will probably have as much fun as you would if you had the 028, it's little sister.....

038 001.JPG

You would likely have better luck buying a junk model with a chainbrake,
also you would be better off to ditch that old sprocket drum and go with a newer version.

So far I've kinda figured out the installation. The exploded diagram was really a big help. Now to figure out how to get the oil pump gear out and install the brake band. Thanks, HarleyT. I'll convert to a rim sprocket (?) later.DSCN4689.JPG

Just doing this myself on an older 038, I bought the farmertec kit same as above. This was a while back, how did you get on 68coupe?

A couple of things to note for anyone doing this, I thought I'd ad this to the thread as a google search got me here.
On the older model as pictured above;
The two 5mm bolts are not needed. You really dont need the cover and the 4mm ones either as yours probably had that on it.
The pin and collar are not needed either. I assume these are for MS380. For the life of me I cant work out where that rubber thing goes, perhaps up the middle of the spring?

Before you install the brake band, put the over center mechanisim on the band and put the e-clip on.
Hold the folded back over bit of the band with pliers and tap the circle of the band into the hole. Go slowly, if you drive it in too far it will make the band sit cockeyed. If it is too deep and you need to lift it up, get an 8mm thread tap (maybe 5/16 would work too) to bite in the hole and pry up with side cutters.

Depending what type handle/handguard it had you might need to file some plastic. Depending what bolts screws you use you might need to tap some threads as I'd say the screws in the picture (29) are those tri lobe self cutting ones.

The oil pump gear, turn it, it will screw out. Backwards I think it is.
The av mounts do look wrong. That one with the plug with screw in the middle is not meant to have a screw, just the plug. Its top right of the 4. The two lower front ones are the stiffer two on the left and are meant to have plugs in them with a spreader screw in the middle.

Latest posts

Back