039 Wont shut off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 039 wont shut off unless I pull the plug boot.

Something wrong with switch? How does it work? metal to metal should cut it out?

check to see if your wires are making good contact. Check wires to make sure they are not loose. Clean any oxidization on metal surfaces.

check the blinker fluid

either switch is bad, or wiring...........simple system, not much to it.

Small wire on coil should short to ground to cut spark. Check ....wire from coil...............wire to switch......and make sure the switch is grounded by either the metal case or a wire from the switch to ground.

BTW....ground = metal part of the engine.

Leave the blinker fluid....it's good for the life of the saw.

Between the flywheel and the coil, there is a torq screw that grounds the saw out. Make sure they are making good contact. Also check the black wire and make sure when it's in the off position, the connector makes contact.

Between the flywheel and the coil, there is a torq screw that grounds the saw out. Make sure they are making good contact. Also check the black wire and make sure when it's in the off position, the connector makes contact.

why did you mess this thread up with useless facts and correct tech........ now back to blinker fluid.....

Might not be relevant, but have you checked for recalls on this saw?

There was a Stihl recall on the 029 and 039 some years ago. You can google it and compare serial numbers to see if your saw was affected by it. I took my 039 in and the dealer did something to the ground wire. I think it was at some risk of getting loose and starting a fire, but I'm not certain that was the issue.

i have no idea if this is related to your problem or not, but someone mentioned a ground wire, so I thought I would suggest you take it in if it was under the recall just to make sure it's been addressed.

Back