041 AV questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippymbr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a new to me 041 AV from a member here. It is in great shape and runs like a top after 2 pulls. :jawdrop: At idle the chain is still spinning like it would be at medium throttle. Is this a worn clutch, too high an idle speed, or the way these run? Second question is on chain tension. I see the tension screw on the saw body next to the bar but it does not seem to do anything. I have the cover nuts slightly loose. So I just pulled the bar out and tightened the nuts to get the chain to get tight. I know I'm doing something wrong. I'm just used to my 026 and have not learned the ins and outs of this cool old beast.

Sounds like your idle speed is set to high. Back it off until the chain stops spinning at idle but not so far as the saw dies.

Also, take the bar cover off and check to make sure the chain tightener pawl is engaged in the bar groove.

It is likley to be the spring inside the clutch is worn and it is allowing the clutch to engage at idol speed. However it could be the low speed setting on the carb.

Last edited:
Sounds like your idle speed is set to high. Back it off until the chain stops spinning at idle but not so far as the saw dies.

Also, take the bar cover off and check to make sure the chain tightener pawl is engaged in the bar groove.
Thanks, I did not see that this saw had a paw that engages the hole in the bar, maybe it broke off. I was going to go the idle speed adj thanks for the confirm.

I just got it. The nub was worn and was not engaging the bar like my 026 but it works fine now that I put it together right.:greenchainsaw: Getting the bar put on right with good tension and lowering the idle speed seems to have fixed my rookie like problem. Thanks.

Back