041AV Stihl Oiller Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bec98x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 041 AV with an oiller problem.

clutch cover and bar ran the motor to see that the oil was coming out the hole under the plate. Then it stopped.

Does not seem to work at all now. I did see some bubbles. now nothing.
Tank is full of bar oil.

I pulled the oil pump by removing the snap ring just above the bar tensioner.

teeth on the gear seem fine, and at the end of the shaft the it is slanted.

If I look in the hole that the oil pump came out of I can see the teeth that mesh with the pump I removed. When I pull the starter rope and turn over the engine slowly I do not see these teeth move.

Please help.

Pull your clutch and check that the small pin is engaged with the worm gear. Also check condition of the gear.

I pulled the clutch/clutch drum/sproket pins are aligned and correctly positioned.

Pulled the oil pump out again to inspect and teeth on the gear look ok. all o-rings and seals look ok.

Pulled the pickup line and filter for bar oil and both are clear and ok

Pulled the bar studs and the plate, blew air into hole to make sure passageway to the tank is clear.

Reassembled except for the oil pump.

When I spin the chain on the bar by hand and look into the hole where the oil pump goes I see teeth which would mesh with the oil pump shaft moving.

So it looks like all the parts are working but I am missing something.

I have tried to turn up the oiller but that does not seem to do anything.

Oh yeah it is an 041 AV Electronic

after getting the clutch off and taking off the clutch drum/sproket I am left with a bearing around the crankshaft(not the needle bearing) and inside that is a round silver piece with 2 holes in it. How do I get this off.

That bearing is your worm gear.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thank you for the service pages.

I will take out the worm gear for inspection and if that checks out ok then I will replaced all the oil pump seals since the pump itself looks ok.

So to get the worm gear out I just spin the cover plate backwards. Almost seems to easy, I am surprised I didn't try that.

Thanks again.

Don't forget the feed side.Make sure your pump has oil supplied to it.

Flush out the tank, I use kerosene or diesel fuel.Make sure the line and screen are clear.

Good Luck !! It's a Great saw.

I have a Farm Boss and an AV I like to get out from time to time.........

I ended up testing the saw again and noticed that bubbles would come out of the little channel. It was also leaking out the oil pump where you would take out the snap ring. I replaced the rubber seal for the pump and it works fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Good job the only oiler pump I replaced was on an 041 FB after finding this site could have probably avoided that oh well.:clap:

Latest posts

Back