044 Chainbrake issue...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any different brake handle for the different wrap handlebars.

What is the part number of your chain brake handle? It should be right above the muffler, as you are looking at the muffler. If it is a basket case saw, you may have a handle off of a totally different model.

Well I am looking at a new brake handle here and it definitely is different than the one in your pict, where it rubs on that trip mechanism. Is your handle the type with just a small hole on the recoil siide that takes a screw with a single depressed washer on it?

That was what I was thinking, but did not want to spend money on it if it was something I was missing... thanks all for the help.

So buy a used one on ebay that may be just as bad or buy chinese, anyone have suggestions?

Okay so new brake handle installed and still same issue... not enough travel to disengage brake.

Here is your pic, and one from the ipl.

The red circle may be the problem area.

But we here are at your mercy for needed info.....

The part circled, is there anything that we need to know?

_1378ss.jpg cb 001.JPG IMG_1374.JPG

he TT
Well it was half a basket case I guess... Top end was damaged supposed bad gas and partially disassembled. All brake parts were original to saw, but maybe the brake not disengaging contributed to the saw meeting its demise. I know have it working with a little bit of tweaking to the handlebar to give brake handle enough room... seems to be okay, engage and disengage pretty crisp. There is a chance I guess the handle was just tweaked, not sure.

I think I will replace that linkage with a new one just in case it is warn... only other option.

No, was just observing that they don't look the same. I know that the ipl illustration may not be accurate, but just trying to jog your memory, as the introduction anywhere of a part from a different saw, could be the source of your problem.......

The part circled in red is the correct part, I can even tell you the numbers that can be found on the backside when mounted in the saw. Unfortunately the part needs to be removed to see the numbers. On the arm that inserts back into the handle will have 1128 KL on it and the other piece that attaches to the brake band and the heavy spring end will have 1121 b on it.

if that is an aftermarket three piece brake lever there is a large batch of defective ones out there right now that do exactly as you describe
just food for thought
the part should have Stihl stamped on one side or the other, if not it is an aftermarket part
Dave

You have a pict of one Dave / I have a parts box here with a bunch of them in it but no picts of an original.

Back