044 come Watson the game is afoot!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmessenger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I play with chainsaws for fun no pie in the sky I'm going to get rich and retire in Hawaii, watch the sun set while drinking pina colada's with miniature umbrellas sticking out of the top by fixing and flipping a saw or three. I enjoy getting something that someone else considers not worth the bother, figure it out, make it nice and recycle. It's fun for me good for the next guy that ain't got the scratch to buy new so win win.

Part of the game is trying to read / guess the history of the machine base on inspection of all available clues. Take for example a recently trade 044 I got my hot little hands on, this saw was saved from a scrap pile due to a broken rear handle, filter cover and other small parts. I trade a clean Poulan Pro 505 + another 505 parts saw for it and he included the broken 044, a use tank / handle, new dual outlet muffler (the front of the original was missing) new air filter and clutch + a nice 25" ES bar. So here ya go some assembly required.

First thing to check of course was to pull it over, all good.. pop pop pop, then pull the rear muffler can and have a look at the piston. The piston is what I would call mint used with all the machine marks still clearly visible viewed from the exhaust port , the front of the case is still wearing all it's original paint so far so good. The last thing that told me this was a low miles saw was the back muffler can still has 85% of its original paint, just a little rust on the top.

Cases solved Watson, well not quite Holmes lets get her in some wood before we drink the toast. OK now I know why these old saws are still coveted (photo attached).

A big thanks to Arrowhead (Ed) I sent him an old 655 poulan jug and said if you can use it send me a chain for this 044, he sends me two new Oregon 3/8 chisel chains for the 25" bar wow! Also to Chainsawr they had all the missing small parts at a very fair price and fast shipping to boot.

Tim

0441.jpg

Last edited:
How many cc's is the 044? I have seen and heard a lot about them sounds like a nice saw. Yours looks nice as well and Ed he's an alright sort of fella.I was having some issues last winter and he was a bunch of help. Good luck to you with you saw.

70cc

How many cc's is the 044? I have seen and heard a lot about them sounds like a nice saw. Yours looks nice as well and Ed he's an alright sort of fella.I was having some issues last winter and he was a bunch of help. Good luck to you with you saw.

Good lookin' saw! I have not yet had a 044, but I've always heard good things about them. Enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back