044 going well!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been using the 044 more and more just lately. Really starting to like it. Can't decide whether or not to try it with a 24" bar or not though. Would also like to get an 18" for it to. Come across a bit of a problem today though as it has broken the rim sprocket whilst bucking up some 20" Ash. No idea what caused it. The sprocket didn't look particularly worn. Circlip, washer, spur and bearing all look fine too. It was an Oregon Power Mate that was on so had obviously been replaced at some point. Anyway, ordered a new Stihl rim sprocket, should be here for Friday and be back up and running. So for now it's all on the 346 which also seems to be running better and better each time i use it. Not bad to say i hated the damn thing a few months back! Can't seem to put it down. It is absolutely fantastic for limbing and snedding the smaller stuff. Even felled a 22" Ash with it today once the 044 was out of action. Not bad with a 15" bar! Stihl's RS chain is awesome! :)

Also got myself a new pair of trousers with allround protection. Has been a good day!! :)

24 is a good all around length for an 044. I believe Oregon makes the rims for Stihl. Troll will correct me if I am wrong. lol Good luck with it.

24" bar is my choice on the 440's. I do run a 20" when I've got a lot of smaller stuff to cut (like what I've been cuttin in lately). It'll run either with absolutely no issue. I've used other chains, Stihl for me!

Sorry, no idea what would cause the rim to break like that - unless it was really worn out maybe?

I'm loving my 044 with a 25" bar, and Stihl chain.

But I will say that it will wear me out after 30 min of straight cutting.

Guess I need a couple pieces for a new deflector before I can open this muffler up. it was loose and it ate up some fuel. Seems to do much better after some more compression (vs none) and a good safe tune.

I have to find a smaller saw for limbing and trimming. this is just too big for that (all the time...lol :laugh:)

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no use for a 24" bar other than to stop me bending over as much. Lol. It's really suited to the 20". I am considering the dual port muffler but would like to get a tach first so I can adjust the carb correctly. It has 90% of the power I would like so hopefully the muffler mod would up it to somewhere that I would be happy with. I would love the power of the 066 but not the weight. The 044 is a nice weight with good power. The 346 feels like a dinky toy after using it which is a great feeling when you want to take it easy for a while. Highly recommend it for a limbing saw.

I don't think the rim socket was particularly worn and I was letting the saw do its own thing whilst bucking. I wasn't forcing it or anything, just a normal cut. Weird. At least it will have a new one on so should be good to go for a while now.

The rims are made of sintered powder metal. Normally they are tough as nails but sounds like you had a bad one. Rare, but not unheard of.

I did a search on here before i posted this thread and found that someone's friend had the exact same problem. I could understand it if i had hit something in the cut, the tree had signs of barbed wire running through it, but the cut was clear. Put the 346 in the same kerf and it finished it off without a problem. Like you say, must have just have got a bad 'un.

Latest posts

Back