044 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't **** around if your fixing it. Replace the seals and rubber now. Plus you can flush out the crankcase good and feel the bearings while seals are out.

New here. I inherited a 12mm 044 a few years back and it has always given me fits. S/N 143 770 515
I’ve put in a carb kit still acted up then a knowledge gentleman I know put in another one and same thing. Cranks up, runs fine, starts getting warm warm and the idle gets erratic. Have to keep bumping the throttle so it won’t die. Removed the carb limiters and adjusted low and then high with a tach. Did fine until it got warm again then same thing. Today I check compression with a non-small engine tester (I know I know but that was what O’Reillys had). Got 150 psi cold. Ran it without a load for 3 to 5 minutes and tested again and got 130 psi. While running I sprayed it down with carb cleaner at gaskets, crank seals and boots with no change in idle.
Stuck a boroscope in the exhaust port and spark plug port. I’m not real sure what is good. Piston seems rough. See video links below.

I’m going to do some cutting tomorrow and get it nice and hot until it acts up again then compression test it again. What else do I need to check?

Top end is ROACHED!

New plan.
044/046 hybrid. I’ll try and find an oem 046/460 cylinder but if not then a meteor 046 cylinder and piston kit.
The 046 cylinder isn’t bolt-on. It requires slotting the base holes about half of a bolt worth and some clearance issues on the side of the cylinder and the top cover. Just letting you know to make sure you want to go that route. If not, I have a couple 12mm 044 cylinders that I could spare

The 046 cylinder isn’t bolt-on. It requires slotting the base holes about half of a bolt worth and some clearance issues on the side of the cylinder and the top cover. Just letting you know to make sure you want to go that route. If not, I have a couple 12mm 044 cylinders that I could spare
Yea, I’ve been doing some research on the 044/046 hybrid builds. I could handle those mods I believe.
I’ll see if I get any bites on an OEM 046 cylinder in the classifieds for a day or two then I might take you up on the 044 offer. I’d rather stick with OEM cylinders than aftermarket.

Yea, I’ve been doing some research on the 044/046 hybrid builds. I could handle those mods I believe.
I’ll see if I get any bites on an OEM 046 cylinder in the classifieds for a day or two then I might take you up on the 044 offer. I’d rather stick with OEM cylinders than aftermarket.
Good luck on your search. Never know when you might get lucky. A lot of hybrids have been built and many of the sources have dried up

Gotta be careful with acid buddy. Those areas that keep fizzing need to be neutralized ASAP.. They can be small pits, and the aluminum will dissolve and undermine them, making the issue worse.

Your jug may still be ok. As said above, complete wear out of plating generally occurs on the thrust side, which is intake. The dark staining will stay on the plating sometimes. The green color is the HCL reacting with the nickel in the plating.

Use a Q-tip and rub some acid over the dark areas. See if they fizz-any residual aluminum will.

Got a 046 cylinder coming thanks to dustinwilt68.
Meteor 52mm 046 piston needs to be ordered. New small end rod bearing, new crank seals, impulse line, fuel line and filter from local dealer. Base gasket delete. Going to check squish after the delete.
Anything else I need to look at/do?

Back